Can I report someone on the Blue Board, and then remove them?
Thread poster: LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:14
Russian to English
+ ...
Jan 21, 2015

I have one quite fresh translation company which appears less and less professional to me, and makes up new reasons all the time to pay later. I have redone my bill about three times already and had to send it to different addresses. I think my patience has reached the limit with them and I might want to report them, but if they pay I may want to remove them--if they still pay within a reasonable amount of time,. Is it possible to delete the record, or it stays forever.

This is the second time anything like that has happened to me in about twenty years. Once the client did not want the translation because it did not say anything that her husband planned murdering her--this has been the second time.

Direct link Reply with quote

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:14
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The Blueboard is not a collection method Jan 21, 2015

The Blueboard was designed to be able to report and check about your wish to work again for a customer, and its ratings are generally interpreted as a measure of the reliability of a customer as a business partner.

You should only post a low score in the Blueboard when you have made up your mind about whether working for them is for you or not. I dislike the idea of the Blueboard being used as a way to motivate customers to pay their dues.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:14
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Please don't remove Jan 21, 2015

LilianNekipelov wrote:

I have one quite fresh translation company which appears less and less professional to me, and makes up new reasons all the time to pay later. I have redone my bill about three times already and had to send it to different addresses. I think my patience has reached the limit with them and I might want to report them, but if they pay I may want to remove them--if they still pay within a reasonable amount of time,. Is it possible to delete the record, or it stays forever.

This is the second time anything like that has happened to me in about twenty years. Once the client did not want the translation because it did not say anything that her husband planned murdering her--this has been the second time.

Whether this outsourcer pays you or not, you have had a very bad experience with them.

Whatever you post on the BB should give other users of the BB an accurate picture of what you had to go through.

The whole point of the BlueBoard is to accurately inform the rest of us. So you should NOT remove your comments/ratings.

[Edited at 2015-01-21 10:43 GMT]

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:14
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
You can add a new comment after a year Jan 21, 2015

You can make a new comment twelve months after the last comment you made.

Of course that can go both ways, but if you browse the BB, you can see numerous examples where people who have given an agency a 5 and then at a later stage given it a lower grade. I have done this myself with agencies that grew too fast.

If the outsourcer does not reply, you can edit your comment, but once a reply has been made, then the comment replied to cannot be changed.

The rules are here:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=siterules&mode=show&category=blue_board_bb_blueboard

Two averages are shown for each outsourcer - overall, and for the last 12 months, because shaky outsourcers can improve and become reliable, or unfortunately, good outsourcers can grow too fast or get into trouble.

The whole idea with the Blue Board is to give a realistic rating for outsourcers, and in principle, only the very best should have 5 - others should be content with a 3 or 4.

In practice that is not how it works, but if you are annoyed with the agency, then don't give them a 5 just because they finally decide to pay you. You are not helping colleagues that way.
Would you work with them again? - 5 means you would be delighted, 4 means definitely. 3 is still positive, but they might go to the back of the queue if you are busy...

The BB is already potentially skewed in favour of outsourcers, because many providers are happy to give a 5 when there are no problems, but like you, they are not so comfortable giving lower ratings, and may not post anything at all.
If you give them a 5 anyway, then 'anything goes' ... and the BB becomes useless.

So please make your decision and stand by it, at least for the next 12 months!

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Stick to it Jan 21, 2015

Wait a bit, please. If they pay, you might consider dropping the idea of reporting them with a negative score on Blue Board.

If you take the step (which is serious one) and do report them on Blue Board, please do not back off. we should not turn Blue Board into a "hostage taking platform". If you report, "take no prisoners". Stick to it. It is in our best interest. Nobody will "maintain" Blue Board for us.

Did you try to just "let them know" that you intend to report them on Blue Board if they keep holding up the payments? This might actually work and you may get paid in full.

Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

You can edit your comments unless the outsourcer has replied Jan 21, 2015

See http://www.proz.com/siterules/blue_board_bb_blueboard/3#3

You can edit your comments for up to a year after your initial post, if you have reason to change your view of the outsourcer. People do that all the time. However, once the outsourcer has replied, you will need to submit a support request if you need to change your entry.

In any case, however, let me reiterate what others have said: please don't simply remove your entry: for the Blue Board to work, it needs to reflect the experiences of as many people as possible.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Important how you word your comments Jan 21, 2015

Yolanda Broad wrote:

.........once the outsourcer has replied, you will need to submit a support request if you need to change your entry.

For that reason, I suggest that users should word their comments very carefully so that the outsourcer cannot counteract them with denials, rebuttals, etc. Personally I just say something like "Unsatisfactory. For details, feel free to contact me privately".

[Edited at 2015-01-21 13:21 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Careful wording Jan 21, 2015

Your post will be dated, so you can say that you have not, as yet, received payment.

If it never comes, it stays, or you edit it as worse. If they pay eventually, then either party can add that fact.

But the fact that there were problems remains, doesn't it?

LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, everyone. Jan 21, 2015

I might actually sue them, if they keep getting on my nerves any more. I may give them another week. I know a lawyer in the country where they are located, so I might. An EU country, just to disperse any illusions. It is not that much money, it is just that I wasted the whole day before Thanksgiving (a really busy time) on their rush job, and all I received were various reasons to postpone the payment, or perhaps not to pay.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I report someone on the Blue Board, and then remove them?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search