How much should I ask for english-italian translation per source word?
Thread poster: alemagra
alemagra
Italy
Jan 26, 2015

I am being offered a job in a translation company and they asked me, via email, my rate per source word in translations from english to italian. Since I'm new in this world, I would like to know what should I answer them.

Thanks a lot to everybody!

Direct link Reply with quote

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 19:08
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
You should take a look at Community Rates in ProZ. Jan 26, 2015

ProZ has a convenient tool called Community Rates. To find it, just find the Tools menu (on the RHS next to About menu). Community Rates is under the Tools menu in ProZ. Best of luck.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 16:08
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
We can only give a very rough figure Jan 26, 2015

Atil's advice is all we can give, though I would also advise you to check with your local translators' association if possible. The problem is that we have no idea where you and your potential client are based, what type of texts are involved, what the purpose of the translations will be (a blog or email will probably attract a lower rate than an article for more professional publication), whether the agency expects you to deliver publication-ready material (i.e. having been read by a second pair of eyes) or whether simply carefully proofreading the work yourself will be enough, etc.

Remember that a beginner will work more slowly, and that will mean you will earn less per hour from an average rate per word. But you should be aiming to deliver a fully adequate translation, so there is no reason to quote an abnormally low rate per word. In fact, that's a serious mistake as it can be very difficult to get a client to pay more later. Be sure that the agency has your full terms and conditions: not only your rate per word but also your payment terms (both payment period and method of payment) plus your minimum per job and/or per invoice.

Do make sure this client is a good prospect before committing yourself to working with them. I'm afraid the worst ones do tend to prey on beginners so it's up to you to make sure you don't get taken advantage of. There's the Scam Centre on here that gives some helpful advice, and you should check the company out on the Blue Board and elsewhere on the web. A poor rating anywhere should ring alarm bells; a good rating should be looked at carefully - it may or may not mean that the company is great; no rating at all is not necessarily a bad thing but it does mean taking more of a risk, so make sure you minimise that risk any way you can.

Tina Vonhof  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 09:08
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
First thing to consider Jan 27, 2015

If you are new in this world (your profile says that you are a student), the first thing to consider is whether you are qualified (know both languages well enough and have some knowledge of the topic) to do this translation. If you are, then you should charge a regular fee.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much should I ask for english-italian translation per source word?

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search