Thread poster: dnitzpon
dnitzpon
Germany
Local time: 07:37
Dutch to German
+ ...
Jan 5, 2005

Hi everybody!
I got offerd to translate an automotive database from English to German, which the client says will take one week and has to be done inhouse in another town in Germany. What do you think would be a reasonable price for such a job?
Tankx
Daniel

Direct link Reply with quote

Charlesp  Identity Verified
Sweden
English
+ ...
also you got to enjoy it Jan 5, 2005

it would depend in part where the other town was - if it was in Berlin, then you could have a fun vacation too at the same time, and at the company's expence. If in a small villlage like Zoltau, they should pay you double.

I would suggest charging 1000 euros, for the week. And that they would cover all of your expenses, travel, hotel accomidations, and a food allowance.

That is my suggestion.

John Walsh  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2004)
Italian to English
also depends on total hours Jan 5, 2005

How many total hours? How much is your usual hourly rate? How many words can you translate per hour and how much do you usually charge per word? Decide how much to charge for the work then calculate expenses and add something on top for making you stay out of town for a week.
If you can translate about 500 words per hour and they keep you out of town for a week then they should pay you for at least 40 hours of translation work (about 20,000 words) so I would say 1,000 is low.

[Edited at 2005-01-05 19:50]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to charge for short in-house job

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search