what to charge for no shows and cancellations?
Thread poster: Adriana Johnston

Adriana Johnston  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 1, 2015

Hi every one, not sure if some one has already asked this question here, but I'd like to know, from your experience, what percentage of your onsite interpretation fees should you charge a direct client or even an agency for less than 48 hour notice cancellations or no shows. (I think the latter-the agency, that is, charges its clients the same as if the service was rendered, but pays its contractors only a small portion). Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
Member (2005)
English to Italian
+ ...
100% Feb 1, 2015

A professional agency will pay even 100% if the cancellation happens on a short notice.

Tim Friese  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2013)
Arabic to English
+ ...
2-hour minimum for short assignments, by contract for other Feb 2, 2015

Most of my interpreting work consists of relatively short legal and medical appointments of anywhere between half an hour to three or four hours. For these, I charge my two-hour minimum for cancellations within 24 hours and half the minimum for cancellations between 24-48 hours.

For longer assignments, other policies should be set. If you would not be able to find work to replace the cancellation, you should probably be charging for the cancellation.

bizisyl
Local time: 17:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
100% Feb 2, 2015

I usually work with direct clients only and they pay the total amount quoted... and apologise for the inconvenience!!

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:40
Spanish to English
+ ...
... or for translations "booked"? Feb 2, 2015

In the same vein, I can never decide whether to get (uselessly) angry when a customer asks to book some time for a job coming up, which then doesn't materialise. Meanwhile, of course, you may have refused other jobs, and you end up with no job at all, which is a real teeth-grinder. Most of the time this is by otherwise great customers ...

Mervyn

Adriana Johnston  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
think I'm getting ripped off Feb 3, 2015

Thank you all for your answers. That is very reasonable. I think I'm getting ripped off by some agencies who only want to pay 1 hour minimum for cancellations. I should probably re do my contract.
One thing I'm not totally sure of is the no show fees. Do you think you should charge your client full quoted rates, when, in fact Doctors only charge their patients a $30 dollar fee for no shows?

[Edited at 2015-02-03 00:19 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

what to charge for no shows and cancellations?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search