Thread poster: Marie-ever

Marie-ever  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:30
English to French
+ ...
Feb 4, 2015

Hi Linguists,

I work as a freelance translator in Canada (Quebec) and I have some concerns about the freelance industry.

Do I have to charge the taxes on my invoice when working with customers in Canada? What about other countries?

Also, I'd like to know if I need to register as a company if I work as a freelancer?

Thank you in advance!

MER

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:30
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Canada forum Feb 4, 2015

Have you researched this in the forum specifically about working in Canada? I'm sure it was discussed just a short while ago, and anyway that's the best place for this question.

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
ok Feb 5, 2015

Hi Sheila,

well since nobody answered, I will try to browse on the forums and find it..

Best regards,
MER

Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
Farsi (Persian) to English
+ ...
GST Feb 9, 2015

Hi Marie

CRA maintains that you need to register for GST and charge tax from Canadian clients when you are not a small supplier anymore. A small supplier is (incorporated or not):

A person whose revenue (along with the revenue of all persons associated with that person) from worldwide taxable supplies was equal to or less than $30,000 ($50,000 for public service bodies) in a calendar quarter and over the last four consecutive calendar quarters.

You don't need to charge tax from clients outside Canada.

You don't need to register a company to work as a freelancer, some people do and some don't.
I registered a sole proprietorship.

I'd be best to consult an accountant about the best path according to your conditions.

[Edited at 2015-02-09 15:20 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-02-09 15:21 GMT]

Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Taxes and registration of company Feb 9, 2015

Thank you for the information, Mr Farsi.

Best,
MER

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Taxes and registration of company

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search