Fee for subtitling - advice needed
Thread poster: Marcel Falter

Marcel Falter  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:45
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Feb 9, 2015

Hi everyone,
I've seen some earlier posts about rates for subtitling but most of them are outdated, so I'm trying a new thread. I would like to get some advice on the current rates for subtitling. In response to my application, I got an offer for subtitling which entails € 3.80 (US$ 4.30 against current exchange rates) per video minute. To me this sounds fairly low. What do you guys (and girls) feel? I realize that subtitling is cumbersome but I would like to diversify my current jobs and I'm just wondering if it's worth the effort.
Many thanks in advance!
Marcel


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:45
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Low and high Feb 9, 2015

I believe there has happened a shift to low-priced services in subtitling in some countries. Many Finnish subtitlers were on strike one and a half year ago. I don't know if it helped.
There are still some agencies around that are after quality. I got last year two decent jobs for films that were shown on Arte tv-channel. Most commercial channels may have moved over to cheap agencies.
I was payed by text amount, my usual rate.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marcel Falter  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:45
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 9, 2015

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

I believe there has happened a shift to low-priced services in subtitling in some countries. Many Finnish subtitlers were on strike one and a half year ago. I don't know if it helped.
There are still some agencies around that are after quality. I got last year two decent jobs for films that were shown on Arte tv-channel. Most commercial channels may have moved over to cheap agencies.
I was payed by text amount, my usual rate.


Thank you for your response. The job offer comes from an international and commercial company that specializes in the translation of subtitles for various companies. It is not easy to compare my regular rate with the rate offered by video minute but my gut feeling tells me that the offer of € 3.80 is low rather than high.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:45
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Well Feb 9, 2015

This rate is indeed incredibly low for a professional subtitler, but from what I gather from the original post, you don't have much experience in subtitling (correct me if I'm wrong), because otherwise you'd know whether or not this rate is low.

The question is, if you don't have much experience, why would any agency pay you much for your services?


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marcel Falter  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:45
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Plenty of experience :-) Feb 9, 2015

Max Deryagin wrote:

This rate is indeed incredibly low for a professional subtitler, but from what I gather from the original post, you don't have much experience in subtitling (correct me if I'm wrong), because otherwise you'd know whether or not this rate is low.

The question is, if you don't have much experience, why would any agency pay you much for your services?


Hi Max,

Plenty of experience with subtitling here, yet I do those for another company and they pay me per source word, not per video minute. I made that quite clear when applying for this position but still they give me this rate. Judging from earlier posts about the same subject some time ago I could read it was low but as these posts were fairly old and things could have changed, I decided to ask again. Thanks for your comment as I now know my gut feeling about this rate is correct.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:45
Member (2013)
English to Russian
Oh Feb 9, 2015

Kattenoog wrote:

Max Deryagin wrote:

This rate is indeed incredibly low for a professional subtitler, but from what I gather from the original post, you don't have much experience in subtitling (correct me if I'm wrong), because otherwise you'd know whether or not this rate is low.

The question is, if you don't have much experience, why would any agency pay you much for your services?


Hi Max,

Plenty of experience with subtitling here, yet I do those for another company and they pay me per source word, not per video minute. I made that quite clear when applying for this position but still they give me this rate. Judging from earlier posts about the same subject some time ago I could read it was low but as these posts were fairly old and things could have changed, I decided to ask again. Thanks for your comment as I now know my gut feeling about this rate is correct.


Then yes, this rate is not workable. I recommend that you stick to the other company and ditch these guys that look for cheap laboricon_smile.gif


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Marcel Falter  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:45
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
proposal rejected Feb 9, 2015

Max Deryagin wrote:

Kattenoog wrote:

Max Deryagin wrote:

This rate is indeed incredibly low for a professional subtitler, but from what I gather from the original post, you don't have much experience in subtitling (correct me if I'm wrong), because otherwise you'd know whether or not this rate is low.

The question is, if you don't have much experience, why would any agency pay you much for your services?


Hi Max,

Plenty of experience with subtitling here, yet I do those for another company and they pay me per source word, not per video minute. I made that quite clear when applying for this position but still they give me this rate. Judging from earlier posts about the same subject some time ago I could read it was low but as these posts were fairly old and things could have changed, I decided to ask again. Thanks for your comment as I now know my gut feeling about this rate is correct.


Then yes, this rate is not workable. I recommend that you stick to the other company and ditch these guys that look for cheap laboricon_smile.gif



Just told them I do not agree with the proposed rate and requested a much higher rate insteadicon_smile.gif If they don't agree, well then too bad for them, ha!


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fee for subtitling - advice needed

Advanced search







CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search