Receiving Eur through Paypal (non-EU resident/citizen)
Thread poster: dione_tranalate
dione_tranalate  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 22:08
Korean to English
+ ...
Mar 9, 2015

Hi,

Before going into the main discussion, I'd like to tell you that I am not EU citizen or resident.

Recent Euro drop has significantly been affecting my financials. I live in South Korea, and receive payments via paypal and withdraw to 1) Korean bank or 2) Payoneer USD card. Both way requires me to convert Eur to other currencies and it costs me a lot when I do this through Paypal.

So, I become to think that if there's any way to create Euro Paypal account(that is linked to European bank account or card), withdraw money to Euro-denominated pre-paid card, and spend in Europe, then I do not have to pay commission to anyone. I travel to Europe time to time and my income in Eur is limited, and thus it could just be my savings for trip to Europe.

So here, I have two questions; 1) Can I create Europe-based paypal account? I can do this in US using pre-paid card from convenient stores. Any idea like this? 2) Any Euro-denominated pre-paid card to receive paypal's Euro balance? I use payoneer for USD service, but they don't serve Euro paypal.

If you have any thoughts, or just leads, please share with me!

Clair

Direct link Reply with quote

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 13:08
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Some thoughts Mar 9, 2015

I don't have all the answers, and some thing may work differently where you are, but here's my contribution.

PayPal, AFAIK, is very strict about where you can have an account. When I moved from France to Spain, I had to open a new account. In other words, you can't link a bank in one country with a home address in another. You might be able to get round their rules for a while but the first problem will risk a freezing of the account. PayPal have to abide by international rules to combat money laundering, terrorism financing etc.

What you can very easily do (works for me, anyway) is keep a second stream in your one PayPal account. For example, my account uses euros, of course. But a fair number of clients like to pay in US dollars. I allow them to do that, but I keep the payments in USD. Then I buy things in USD with that balance when the opportunity arises. This avoids all the exchange fees.

If you have the opportunity to pay for online purchases in euros, that could be at least a partial solution. Maybe a Korean bank would let you have a euro account that you could link to PayPal? I haven't bothered to try that as I don't receive a lot of dollars, so I just let them stay in PayPal until I can use them directly from there.

Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:08
Member (2014)
English to German
Similar problems Mar 9, 2015

I have also been trying to get Euros out of my PayPal account without having to change them into Pound Sterling. I opened a Euro account at my regular bank in the UK but PayPal does not accept that account, the amount I tried to transfer was changed into Sterling and returned to PayPal.

I could open an account in Germany, however, it is made clear that the account should not be used for business purposes - but I just want to spend my Euros on holiday anyway. I haven't gone ahead with the formalities because I want to make sure that I can transfer Euros into it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Receiving Eur through Paypal (non-EU resident/citizen)

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search