The W-8 form for foreign translators with American agency
Thread poster: Patricia Lucanera
Patricia Lucanera
Local time: 22:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 13, 2005

Hi, everybody!

I´ve been contacted by an American agency to start working with them and they´ve asked me to sign the W-8 form before doing any translation. Is that the usual thing to do? Do I have to pay attention to any special section? I´ve read it and haven´t found anything unusual, but just in case ... Help!

Thanks a lot,
Pat

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:06
English to German
+ ...
Have a look at past threads Jan 13, 2005

Hi Pat,
Have you tried entering "W-8" into the forum search on the left?

I recall quite a few interesting discussions on this issue.

Best regards,
Ralf

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:06
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The date Jan 13, 2005

Patluc wrote:

Do I have to pay attention to any special section?

And the mention "ECI".

Form W-8 has undergone several revisions, the last edition I have is December 2000. (There might be later versions).

There is a W-8 ECI for traders doing business with the US and a W-8 BEN for beneficial owners of property, securities, bank accounts, etc., to exempt them from witholding on dividends. We fall under ECI.

By default (i.e., without W-8), income from the US is taxable, unless it doesn't add up to 600 USD p.a., AFAIK (might have changed).

Patricia Lucanera
Local time: 22:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
W-8 Jan 13, 2005

Patluc wrote:

Hi, everybody!

I´ve been contacted by an American agency to start working with them and they´ve asked me to sign the W-8 form before doing any translation. Is that the usual thing to do? Do I have to pay attention to any special section? I´ve read it and haven´t found anything unusual, but just in case ... Help!

Thanks a lot,
Pat

Thank you very much, Ralf and Parrot (it´s nioce to hear from you again, we met at the powwow in Buenos Aires in July)

I´m going to check the thread, as Ralf suggested, and as regards ECI, it´s not mentioned anywhere. There is a paragraph I´d like to know exactly what it means. It says: " Caution: Form W-8 does not exempt the payee from the 30% (or lower treaty) nonresident witholding rates."

If this is a Certificate of foreign status and the purpose stated there is "... a statement to tell the payer ... that you are a nonresident alien individual, ... or exempt foreign person not subject to certain U.S information return reporting or backup witholding rules", how does this match with the "Caution"?
Maybe I should ask them directly (but really I´d like to find out on my own first)

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The W-8 form for foreign translators with American agency

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search