How to solve an issue of non-payment in Canada
Thread poster: linadia

linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 2, 2015

Hello

I'd like to seek your advice on how to get paid by a translation and interpretation agency operating in Canada.
I did 12 interpretation assignments for them over a few months and they paid me nothing.
I made several attempts, via email and phone, to solve the issue. Needless to say that, most of the time, I received no reply. But then I managed to get a solid promise from their "Account Manager" that I was going to receive my first payment on February 5th. This wasn't true either.

I made an entry on the Blue Board here and added reviews on other website as well.
I contacted AILIA, but it seems to be a not so fruitful attempt, though the agency is an AILIA member, as far as I know.

I don't think they will pay voluntarily, as my issue is a common practice. This agency doesn't pay interpreters as a rule, or so it seems.

I am looking for ways to make them pay what they owe me. I truly think that no one should take advantage of someone else's hard work. As you well know, the interpretation requires a multitude of skills, training and knowledge.

Thank you
Nadia

Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 07:55
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
I think Apr 2, 2015

a debt collection agency might help. I don't know about Canada but right now I received payment from a German agency after 3 reminders and a warning that I am going to transfer the invoice to a debt collection agency. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt you to try.

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 22:55
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Small claims court Apr 4, 2015

You can sue a company or person in small claims in your province but it may not be worth the trouble and cost unless a substantial amount is at stake. You can find more information here:
http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/scc/b4aClaim.asp

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to solve an issue of non-payment in Canada

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search