How to solve an issue of non-payment in Canada
Thread poster: linadia

linadia
French to Arabic
+ ...
Apr 2, 2015

Hello

I'd like to seek your advice on how to get paid by a translation and interpretation agency operating in Canada.
I did 12 interpretation assignments for them over a few months and they paid me nothing.
I made several attempts, via email and phone, to solve the issue. Needless to say that, most of the time, I received no reply. But then I managed to get a solid promise from their "Account Manager" that I was going to receive my first payment on February 5th. This wasn't true either.

I made an entry on the Blue Board here and added reviews on other website as well.
I contacted AILIA, but it seems to be a not so fruitful attempt, though the agency is an AILIA member, as far as I know.

I don't think they will pay voluntarily, as my issue is a common practice. This agency doesn't pay interpreters as a rule, or so it seems.

I am looking for ways to make them pay what they owe me. I truly think that no one should take advantage of someone else's hard work. As you well know, the interpretation requires a multitude of skills, training and knowledge.

Thank you
Nadia

Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 15:17
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
I think Apr 2, 2015

a debt collection agency might help. I don't know about Canada but right now I received payment from a German agency after 3 reminders and a warning that I am going to transfer the invoice to a debt collection agency. Anyway, it wouldn't hurt you to try.

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 06:17
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Small claims court Apr 4, 2015

You can sue a company or person in small claims in your province but it may not be worth the trouble and cost unless a substantial amount is at stake. You can find more information here:
http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/courts/scc/b4aClaim.asp

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to solve an issue of non-payment in Canada

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search