Nesrine Echroudi
Tunisia
Local time: 18:56
Member (2012)
Arabic to French
+ ...
Apr 6, 2015

Hi colleagues,
I am searching for ways to receive money from Bangladesh!!
Anyone can help ??
Many thanx for your precious ideas !!
Nesrine

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 20:56
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
I am sorry, Apr 6, 2015

but my strong conviction is that you can forget about the money.

Still, here are some useful tips I sometimes used to get paid (this is my blog):

https://engrutra.wordpress.com/2014/08/12/non-payers-when-clients-vanish-into-thin-air/

Barbara Carrara  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 19:56
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Reference link to your previous forum post on the subject Apr 6, 2015

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/282868-receiving_payment_from_bangladesh.html

Nesrine Echroudi
Tunisia
Member (2012)
Arabic to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
methods of payment Apr 6, 2015

In fact am searching for payment methods other than wire transfer and waiting for the Bangladesh central bank permission to send the money!!! Any idea ??

Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
What about Apr 6, 2015

PayPal? It is expensive but you at least will receive part of your money instead of nothing.

Nesrine Echroudi
Tunisia
Member (2012)
Arabic to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
noway Apr 6, 2015

The client said he can't chrage paypal or skrill with money from Bangladesh !!

Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Then Apr 6, 2015

nesrine echroudi wrote:

The client said he can't chrage paypal or skrill with money from Bangladesh !!

you must travel to Bangladesh or forget about your money:(

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Too much negativity Apr 6, 2015

There's bound to be a way round the problem if the client has his/her heart in the right place. Every country needs imports as well as exports and international trade with Bangladesh MUST be possible. First you need to find out whether your client really doing everything to find a way round the problem.

Is this the first time they've ever commissioned a translation from abroad? If they have a BB record here, send a PM to anyone outside the country to see how they were pais. In fact, find other Bangladesh companies on the BB and contact their suppliers abroad, too.

I know India-based people can't leave money in PayPal (don't know about Bangladesh) but maybe they can send funds if you send a payment request via PayPal. How about asking PayPal?

Have you searched for groups/forums dealing with this sort of problem? Maybe you can find an 'expert' who will advise. You can't be the only one with the problem.

I know there's a point where you're spending more time/money than the debt is worth. But giving up at the first hurdle has to be a loser's way of doing business.

Good luck, nesrine and keep us informed please.

Sorry for typos etc - hit the post button when I meant to preview iticon_smile.gif. I'm awful at using my phone's tiny pad.

[Edited at 2015-04-06 08:49 GMT]

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
Western Union, Money Gram Apr 6, 2015

Perfect methods available in any country.

You should make it THEIR problem. THEY have to find a way to pay you.

Nesrine Echroudi
Tunisia
Member (2012)
Arabic to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I did so Apr 6, 2015

I even reported him to Proz as non recommended!! He continue to say he's waiting for central bank permission!!
I know there's a way to fill Skrill account from there (Bangladesh) or send the money from India !!
Am tired of him!! However no complaints about my work am a native speaker of the target language, delivery within deadlines. Accepted half usual rate just because we stated payment to be in 20 days !! If I just can find help from a featured translator in Bangladesh!!! Someone highly recommended!! Any suggestion??

Latvia
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
I hate to say so, but it seems that Apr 6, 2015

you have been taken for a ride. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably is a duck.
When the client promised to pay within 20 days, he didn't know about money transfer restrictions???? Are you kidding? Most likely, he had no intention of paying.

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Member (2014)
Danish to English
+ ...
Restricted countries Apr 6, 2015

It looks as if clients in Bangladesh are to be avoided unless they pay up front if they are subject to so draconian restrictions for sending money abroad. That doesn't help translators already owed money, unfortunately. It may also be worth checking if other countries in difficulties, such as Cyprus and Iceland, have such restrictions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PayPal#India

Local restrictions
Countries not supported by PayPal include Iraq, Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Pakistan, in addition to the countries on the US economic sanction list.

Japan
In late March 2010, new Japanese banking regulations forced PayPal Japan to suspend the ability of personal account holders registered in Japan from sending or receiving money between individuals and as a result are now subject to PayPal's business fees on all transactions.

India
As of March 2011, PayPal made changes to the User Agreement for Indian users to comply with Reserve Bank of India regulations. The per transaction limit had been set to USD $3,000, since October 14, 2011. However, on July 29, 2013 PayPal has increased the per transaction limit to USD $10,000. This brings the per transaction limit for India in line with the restrictions imposed by PayPal on most other countries.

PayPal has disabled sending and receiving personal payments in India, thus forcing all recipients to pay a transaction fee.

[Edited at 2015-04-06 12:20 GMT]

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 23:26
English to Hindi
+ ...
Some wild suggestions Apr 7, 2015

I have no experience of the rules of Bangladesh, but here are some ideas you can pursue.

1. Have you tried cheque payment?

2. In once case, I was requested by an outsourcer to route a payment to a translator of his to whom he could not directly make the payment due to similar national restrictions - he send the money to me and asked me to forward the payment to his translator after deducting bank charges.

This is one approach you can also try - ask the client to send the money to a trusted person in a country to which money can be legally sent from Bangladesh, and then ask this person to forward the money to you after deducting bank charges. Some currency conversion charges may also be involved here as your Bangladeshi client would probably not be able to pay in dollars, and may have to pay in his own currency. This would then undergo two currency conversions - first to the currency of the intermediary person and then into dollar. Both these stages would involve transaction costs. But you will be able to recover some of your money. (Or, you can ask your Bangladeshi client to bear these expenses too.)

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 17:56
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Not necessarily Western Union Apr 7, 2015

Vadim Kadyrov wrote:

Perfect methods available in any country.

I don't know about Bangladesh, but in Ghana you can receive money from Western Union but can't send money abroad. I found that out the hard way.

Which isn't to say that Nesrine's client is genuine, mind you. Like others in this thread I have a feeling he's taking her for a ride. If the amount is large, see if there any debt collectors in your country that specialize in international collections. You could also try contacting a law firm in Bangladesh and seeing if they'll sue to recover the money on your behalf.

[Edited at 2015-04-07 10:41 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ways to receive money from Bangladesh

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running and helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search