Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Best rate = Lowest rate
Thread poster: xxxsjmdcl
xxxsjmdcl
Local time: 03:24
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 12, 2015

Agencies are making a huge mistake using sentences like this "...send us your CV and your best rate...", because MY best rate is the higher rate. Agencies should say "...inform us the lowest rate you can charge..."

[Edited at 2015-04-12 15:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-04-12 15:06 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:24
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Worst Apr 12, 2015

Yes, they actually mean "your worst rate"

[Edited at 2015-04-12 15:56 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:24
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Indeed Apr 12, 2015

They do mean a rate that makes it difficult for a translator to survive on.

Only one sentence tops this: "please send us your best rate for a long-term collaboration". Translation: please send us your absolute lowest possible rate and give us a discount on it.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:24
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes... Apr 12, 2015

Thayenga wrote:
.... "please send us your best rate for a long-term collaboration". Translation: please send us your absolute lowest possible rate and give us a discount on it.

Yes- or "do more work for less money"

[Edited at 2015-04-12 16:03 GMT]

Bo Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 14:24
Member (2014)
English to Chinese
+ ...
Euphemism Apr 12, 2015

It is the best rate for them, the worst rate for us.

ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 09:24
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Rational Society Apr 12, 2015

I say this:

In a completely rational society, the best of us would be interpreters/translators, and the rest of us would have to settle for something less.

Inspired by the quote:

"In a completely rational society, the best of us would be teachers, and the rest of us would have to settle for something less."
Lee Iacocca

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 04:24
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Not necessarily Apr 12, 2015

I live in Brazil, where the monthly (sic!) interest rate on loans is about 10%.
AFAIK in our neighbor Argentina it's even higher.

So when prospects ask me about my "best" rate, to me it obviously means COD payment, since it's quite likely that, if they don't have the cash available immediately, they can get a loan locally under much, much lower interest to pay me right away.

I keep my translation rate separate from the additional financial cost of a later payment. Here it makes a significant difference.

Evidence of this is that 97% of my clients have been paying me COD for the past couple of years, at least.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 11:54
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
What they mean is Apr 13, 2015

"best rate for us" not "best rate of the bidder", and if read in this way, their language makes perfect sense!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Best rate Apr 13, 2015

sjmdcl wrote:
Agencies are making a huge mistake using sentences like this "...send us your CV and your best rate...", because MY best rate is the higher rate. Agencies should say "...inform us the lowest rate you can charge..."

The phrase "best rate" simply means "the rate at which you would normally arrive after a session of hard negotiation". Asking for a best rate speeds things up. The client is saying "let's not go back and forth with offers and counter-offers, but get right to the point".

LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:24
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
I can top that.... Apr 13, 2015

Thayenga wrote:

Only one sentence tops this: "please send us your best rate for a long-term collaboration". Trans
lation: please send us your absolute lowest possible rate and give us a discount on it.

or at least give it a run for its money (pun intended):
Recently someone asked for my "Best rate *for the Indian market*" (emphasis mine).

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Member (2012)
Italian to English
+ ...
And then CAT discounts Apr 13, 2015

And on top of all that, do you apply CAT discounts or use CAT tools? I have learnt to IGNORE, and I recycle a lot, believe me.

xxxbrg
Netherlands
Best rates = Apr 13, 2015

the best discount (you can offer) you can agree with.

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:24
English to German
+ ...
Not worth the trouble Apr 13, 2015

I don't work with anyone who asks for CV and "best rate." It's synonymous with "your CV and a rock-bottom rate." Mostly, these demands are made by people who don't send the original text to be reviewed, and simply want whatever the work entails done at a totally ridiculous price. I played along a few times just to see what they are willing to pay. They're in the same category as those agencies that send you offers with wordings like: We have an immediate project for you, legal document, 4000 words due tomorrow morning, USD .04/word, payment 45 days after delivery. In one word, they are shameless. Not worth the trouble. (Of course, that's my opinion.)

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:24
English to German
+ ...
No, thank you Apr 13, 2015

Samuel Murray wrote:

The client is saying "let's not go back and forth with offers and counter-offers, but get right to the point".

Yes, the point is: how low can you go?! Any respect or real professionalism involved? Not that I can see. . So, no, thank you.

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Point of view Apr 13, 2015

sjmdcl wrote:

Agencies are making a huge mistake using sentences like this

They obviously don't see it that way, and it's obviously an approach that works (to an extent).

Food for thought!

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best rate = Lowest rate

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search