Rate for direct translation vs. translation work with elements of creative translation+rewrite
Thread poster: Valeria Burova

Valeria Burova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:33
Member (2014)
English to Russian
Apr 12, 2015

I am trying myself for potential client who names their work as translation and ask for my rate for 1000 words. Same time the work itself includes elements of rewriting as I am required to translate segments where target text must contain certain number of symbols and source text can be of a really different volume - like from 250 to 750 symbols. This consumes more time than doing regular translation work. The nature of this work is also not really direct translation like in normal texts but is quite creative and you may sit on one title or name for quite long. So 1 page of such text may take around 2 hours of my time.

May anyone suggest how such work can be estimated? I consider this is not regular translation? I would really prefer myself to be paid for such at hourly rate because it is time consumable and not really beneficial to get paid for such in words as you won't do really big volume of such text per day..

[Редактировалось 2015-04-12 18:22 GMT]

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:33
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Hourly rate Apr 13, 2015

Hi Valeria,

this sounds more like translation and creative writing. So yes, one sentence might take a few hours. Creative writing simply cannot be paid per word, but should instead be paid according to your hourly rate.

Best,
Thayenga

Teresa Borges
Portugal
Local time: 07:33
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hourly rate Apr 13, 2015

This looks very much like transcreation (or creative translation). Translation is typically billed by the word, whereas transcreation is billed by the hour, or sometimes by the project. Good chance!

Valeria Burova  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:33
Member (2014)
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Apr 13, 2015

Thank you, colleagues, it was really helpful, now I see I was right in my doubts about this work and the agency..

[Редактировалось 2015-04-13 10:22 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for direct translation vs. translation work with elements of creative translation+rewrite

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search