Rate for language testing
Thread poster: Emaleu Nemaleu Flore

Emaleu Nemaleu Flore  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Apr 17, 2015

Dear Colleagues,

I might land my first job as a language tester and I which to know how much I should charge per hour.

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 15:09
Member (2014)
French to German
+ ...
Normal hourly rate Apr 17, 2015

Hello,

I estimate how much time the job will take me and then charge my normal hourly rate.

It's important though to know before what is all included in the job (e. g. do you have to actually invent the tests yourself or not...).

Diana Obermeyer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:09
Member (2013)
German to English
+ ...
Full-time employment or short-term assignment? Apr 17, 2015

For a short-term assignment, I agree with Andrea. There's no point accepting any less than you would otherwise earn. However, if you will be employed, you will need to weigh it up against other benefits.

What sort of language testing are you talking about?

I tested applicants' language skills for multilingual vacancies back in 2002 and got approx. 15k pro rata. I don't think that has changed much, it will still be below 20k in the UK (around GBP 10 per hour???).

I believe language/localisation testers for games are in a similar region, largely below 20k, but "serious" software providers may pay more. I got about GBP 20/hour to test a language learning software from a cash-strapped start-up a few years ago, and that was around 200 hours of work to complete according to my own schedule.

In academia or public service, rates are also likely to be higher.

Of course, the situation may be very different in your country.

Emaleu Nemaleu Flore  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 17, 2015

Thanks a lot for your answers Diana and Andrea.

You have really throw more light on what I should do.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for language testing

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search