Manon Gaimard  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 06:59
Member (2017)
Italian to French
+ ...
Apr 21, 2015

Dear Proz members,

I am currently trying to expand the number of translation agencies I work for and have received a positive answer from an American translation agency (in California). The only "problem" is I have no idea of which taxation rules apply to foreigners (French citizenship) and whether this particular state applies VAT or not.

Would someone kindly put me in the picture? icon_smile.gif

Thanks a lot!

Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 07:59
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
No taxes applied Apr 21, 2015

I live in Latvia and work with a California-based agency They don't apply any taxes.

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
W8-BEN Apr 21, 2015

hello

it depends on your situation;

Your client may ask you to fill the W8-BEN form.
Just type W8-BEN on Goggle to see the form and associated instructions.

If you reside in France, mention it in Part II. It is probably the same for every EU residence country (check in the instructions).

This way you won't need to pay taxes.

Have a good day (:

Madeleine

[Edited at 2015-04-21 10:16 GMT]

France
Member (2017)
Italian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's good news! Apr 21, 2015

Thank you both for your answers. It's a great thing that in some cases, we don't need to pay taxes!
The agency just mentioned a tax form in its last email so I think I'll have more details about all this soonicon_smile.gif
Have a great day too!

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:59
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Just to be 100% clear Apr 21, 2015

You DO have to declare the income to the French authorities in the normal way, even if the money isn't paid into a French bank account. If it's in dollars you'll need to use the correct tables to convert it to euros (probably the Banque de France but I don't remember the applicable date - invoice, receipt, month end, quarter end...).

brg (X)
Netherlands
Invoice date Apr 21, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

You DO have to declare the income to the French authorities in the normal way, even if the money isn't paid into a French bank account. If it's in dollars you'll need to use the correct tables to convert it to euros (probably the Banque de France but I don't remember the applicable date - invoice, receipt, month end, quarter end...).

And state your invoice in both currencies. => easy for the client and for your own accountancy.

France
Member (2017)
Italian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Declaration Apr 21, 2015

Of course, Sheila, declaring the income to the French authorities was implicit!icon_smile.gif
Thanks for the great advice Houtberg!

Madeleine Chevassus  Identity Verified
France
Member (2010)
English to French
It is not only the citizenship, but the fiscal resident status. Apr 23, 2015

you are French, but if you reside (fiscally) in another country, you would have to pay taxes to that country (and not to France).

Example:
a lot of top French tennismen are fiscal residents in Switzerland: they pay taxes to Switzerland according to Swiss law; with this status they are allowed to a limited number of days per year in France (90 days?).

France
Member (2017)
Italian to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Residence Apr 23, 2015

So far my fiscal residence is in France. Thanks Madeleine for your example, it's useful to know thaticon_smile.gif

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Taxes for a French translator working for a Californian translation agency

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search