Natalia Elo  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:59
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jan 18, 2005

Hi everybody,

Sorry if this is again from the category 'Russian female rocket scientist in Australia' (don't mean anybody in particular) i.e. if this sounds stupid, but in what language you write invoices? I just registered for German tax number and want to do everything right.

Does it matter at all? Will I have to show it later on to tax authorities in Germany?
The client is a translation bureau in Finland, so I'm sure they understand German whereas I doubt if German civil servants at Finanzamt can read Finnish.

I applied for exempt from VAT according to Kleinunternehmerregelung and as far as I got right everything what I've read on this forum, I should mention it on the bill.

Thanks in advance
Natalia

Direct link Reply with quote

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Hi Natalia Jan 18, 2005

I can only say that I communicate with my clients in English, and all my invoices are in English, irrespectively of the client's location (even if it is France, Taiwan, South Africa, Norway or Belgium). And there were never any problems with Polish tax authorities.

Probably you could consider issuing bilingual invoices to avoid possible problems.

[Edited at 2005-01-18 12:43]

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
My tax advisor told me.... Jan 18, 2005

When I started out as a freelancer, my tax advisor told me to write my invoices in German - but perhaps that was just so that he could understand them. However I have customers all over the world now, so after spending a while writing bi-lingual invoices I've now moved over to using English all the time. My customers are perfectly happy with that, and if the tax man has a problem, then I'd be happy to give him a translation!

HTH

Alison

Linn Arvidsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
English and Swedish Jan 18, 2005

When I send bills to my Swedish customers I use Swedish. For all other customers I use English regardless where in the world they might be located.

/Linn

[Edited at 2005-01-18 15:25]

Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 18, 2005

Thank you Natalie, Alison and Linn,

I sent it already in Finnish.

Why I can see your country under your photos, and can't see mine?

Natalia

Linn Arvidsson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
Your country Jan 18, 2005

Why I can see your country under your photos, and can't see mine?

In your profile, under Contact Info" you may choose your country. This country is then visible under your photo.

Germany
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again! Jan 18, 2005

Linn Arvidsson wrote:

In your profile, under Contact Info" you may choose your country. This country is then visible under your photo.

Thank you, Linn!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In what language you write the bills?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search