Client sent faulty files, so I have to redo the work - how much extra to charge?
Thread poster: Lark Ducoeur

Lark Ducoeur  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:12
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
Apr 28, 2015

Hi all!

I completed a proofreading project in SDL Trados 2014 yesterday and, once I sent the completed project back to my client, they emailed me a couple of hours later saying something to the effect of "Sorry, turns out those files had faulty tags in them, so our client has sent us the corrected files - here they are, could you use these ones instead and re-implement whatever changes you made in the old files?".

Obviously, I don't have to read through each segment again, I can just apply the TM from the old files to the new ones - but this still will require a considerable amount of time, as I will have to open each file and scroll through each individual segment pressing Ctrl+T as I go in order to apply the TM (unless there's an easier way?!). I'm pretty sure my client sees it as a minor glitch and just something I can quickly re-do, but I'm a little uneasy about doing almost double the work for zero extra pay.

SO, I would like to inform my client that I charge extra for something like this - but I'm not sure what is standard in the industry? Maybe 25%, 50% extra of the total project cost? Any input would be appreciated!!

Thank you!

Direct link Reply with quote

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:12
English to German
+ ...
The more you do, the more they owe you Apr 28, 2015

Lark Ducoeur wrote:

Hi all!

I completed a proofreading project in SDL Trados 2014 yesterday and, once I sent the completed project back to my client, they emailed me a couple of hours later saying something to the effect of "Sorry, turns out those files had faulty tags in them, so our client has sent us the corrected files - here they are, could you use these ones instead and re-implement whatever changes you made in the old files?".

Obviously, I don't have to read through each segment again, I can just apply the TM from the old files to the new ones - but this still will require a considerable amount of time, as I will have to open each file and scroll through each individual segment pressing Ctrl+T as I go in order to apply the TM (unless there's an easier way?!). I'm pretty sure my client sees it as a minor glitch and just something I can quickly re-do, but I'm a little uneasy about doing almost double the work for zero extra pay.

SO, I would like to inform my client that I charge extra for something like this - but I'm not sure what is standard in the industry? Maybe 25%, 50% extra of the total project cost? Any input would be appreciated!!

Thank you!

Doesn't sound like a good outsourcer, to be blunt. It's additional work, and it needs to be paid. Tell them how much and treat it like a new project. If they don't budge, refuse and tell them that it is not what you agreed to do. If they don't want to be reasonable and pay you more and put it in writing (your own contract or an acceptable PO), they are bad clients and I would just try to get paid for what you did so far. Who knows if they intend to pay you within a reasonable time at all; and the more you work, the more they are going to owe you.

Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 08:12
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Pre-Translate? Apr 28, 2015

Perhaps you could use the Batch Tasks > Pre-Translate Files function, and then read everything through? Even then, if the tags have been changed, there can be lots of "high fuzzies", and you'll have to check/correct the tags manually. I'd charge by the hour, or if you have discounted rates for fuzzies, you could apply those rates.

[Edited at 2015-04-28 19:45 GMT]

Lark Ducoeur  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:12
Member (2013)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Resolved! Apr 28, 2015

Thank you for the advice - glad I'm not the only one who found this request unreasonable! I responded informing them that I would be charging them for this extra work, and they responded saying they would just take care of it themselves instead. All's well that ends well I guess. Thank you again!

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 07:12
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I would have charged for my time Apr 28, 2015

I charge an hourly rate for things like that, which might be an answer if a similar situation arises and does not resolve itself the same way.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Client sent faulty files, so I have to redo the work - how much extra to charge?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search