Emaleu Nemaleu Flore
Emaleu Nemaleu Flore  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:35
English to French
+ ...
May 20, 2015

Dear Colleagues,

A client wants me to shorten translations that were done by another translator.

I have never done this before and I wish to know how I should charge.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Elif Baykara Narbay
Elif Baykara Narbay  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 07:35
German to Turkish
+ ...
I suppose that this is an edition task, May 20, 2015

So you may charge accordingly.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:35
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
By the hour May 20, 2015

The only sensible way to do this is to charge by the hour.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Charge by hours May 20, 2015

Why not charging this service by your work hours rate? Take steps in fully hours.

Emaleu Nemaleu Flore
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 20, 2015

Thanks Erik and Matthias, I think that's what I will do!

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:35
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Purpose? May 20, 2015

What will they be used for? Usually gisting or abstracting by translators is done in order to avoid a translation of the entire document when only selected information is of interest/use to the client and/or to determine if they have sufficient interest in the document to translate it in its entirely. If the full translation has already been done, there doesn't seem to be much point...
Certainly, you should charge hourly in any case. I would ask the client for very clear directives about w
... See more
What will they be used for? Usually gisting or abstracting by translators is done in order to avoid a translation of the entire document when only selected information is of interest/use to the client and/or to determine if they have sufficient interest in the document to translate it in its entirely. If the full translation has already been done, there doesn't seem to be much point...
Certainly, you should charge hourly in any case. I would ask the client for very clear directives about what kind of information they want retained, and what they are OK leaving out. Personally, I've found that this type of work can be fraught with misunderstandings about what can be retained/removed. If possible, ask for examples of previous abridgments, or if there are several files, have them give you feedback on one before you proceed with the others.
Collapse

Vladimir Morozov
Vladimir Morozov
Russian Federation
English to Russian
+ ...
Your normal editing rate plus shortening percentage May 20, 2015

As an alternative, I suggest that you charge your normal rate for editing plus the percentage by which you are supposed to shorten the translation.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:35
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Agree with Rudolf May 20, 2015

It doesn't seem to make much sense at this stage, but in any case, I'd make sure I follow Rudolf's advice.

Emaleu Nemaleu Flore
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 20, 2015

Rudolf Vedo CT wrote:

Certainly, you should charge hourly in any case. I would ask the client for very clear directives about what kind of information they want retained, and what they are OK leaving out. Personally, I've found that this type of work can be fraught with misunderstandings about what can be retained/removed. If possible, ask for examples of previous abridgments, or if there are several files, have them give you feedback on one before you proceed with the others.

Thank you Rudolf.

I followed your advice and it was very helpful.

Thanks again!

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Make sure what they want May 20, 2015

Of course, we learned how to separate important ideas from secondary, how to compress via generalization, how to concatenate sentences, how to replace complex/compound structures/participles, how to rearrange sub/micro/topics, how to restructure wording, how to use (shorter) synonyms and so on, but what is the purpose?

If the target is, say, 50% words or 2/3 number of chars, then it's one way, if it's about pleonasm/empty/parasite words, then it's quite different, if somethin
... See more
Of course, we learned how to separate important ideas from secondary, how to compress via generalization, how to concatenate sentences, how to replace complex/compound structures/participles, how to rearrange sub/micro/topics, how to restructure wording, how to use (shorter) synonyms and so on, but what is the purpose?

If the target is, say, 50% words or 2/3 number of chars, then it's one way, if it's about pleonasm/empty/parasite words, then it's quite different, if something else, then another way.
If possible, ask for a list of 'bad' words.

Good luck.

[Edited at 2015-05-20 15:21 GMT]
Collapse

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:35
Serbian to English
+ ...
what exactly do they want? May 20, 2015

have they given you any target?

Do they want a shorter version of a full translation?
Have they compared the number of characters in FR and in EN and concluded from the ratio that the translation is ways more verbose than it ought to be? And now want another version of a "normal" translation where this ratio will be "normal"?
If that is the case, just translate it again from scratch and charge accordingly - better for you AND better for them.

Most importan
... See more
have they given you any target?

Do they want a shorter version of a full translation?
Have they compared the number of characters in FR and in EN and concluded from the ratio that the translation is ways more verbose than it ought to be? And now want another version of a "normal" translation where this ratio will be "normal"?
If that is the case, just translate it again from scratch and charge accordingly - better for you AND better for them.

Most important: have you seen the ST and the translation? Be careful not to let yourself in a nightmare job that is supposed to be "just few changes ..."

OTOH if they want some sort of "digest" or "overview" than charging by the hour is a sensible approach -

Given that's it's much more difficult to be short and to the point than being verbose, I would even suggest the price for the "normal" translation increased by 20% (or 30% or more).

Yes, exactly that: charge them more if they a shorter translation.

If it sounds crazy, it's not; to make an analogy with programming computers, any beginner can write bloatware, but you need a lot of knowledge to write programs that are quick and don't waste computer's resources.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation shortening

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »