Rates for translating of legal texts PolishEnglish
Thread poster: MartaJ

MartaJ
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:06
English to Polish
Jul 7, 2015

Hi,

Has anyone ever heard of rates for the above as low as USD 0.03 per word? Or is it just me undermining the offer?

I appreciate only constructive but reliable opinions on this matter.
Thank you for your support.
Regards

Marta

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'm sure they're out there Jul 7, 2015

MartaJ wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of rates for the above as low as USD 0.03 per word? Or is it just me undermining the offer?

There are bound to be outsourcers saying it's an acceptable rate. However, I can't see that there can be many, if any, professional translators agreeing with them.

There are jobs where the end client has contracted a large agency, that has contracted a second agency, that has contracted a third..., that has contracted a freelance to actually do the work. They each want their cut, of course. And heaven help the translator who expects questions to be answered, even totally legitimate ones.

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Depends on which agency Jul 7, 2015

I’ve seen agencies announcing (the hell…promoting) USD0.06/w translations, all language combinations. Well, they necessarily have to source the translation at USD0.03 or lower.

Unfortunately, there are “translators”, allegedly part-timer non-linguists no big subject matter experts who happily charge USD0.03 and make extra money. The end product is, well…like in that advert.: “blup, what did you expect? Ehem.”

Since we all know it is not a sustainable model (for neither party), there is a huge rotation of agencies/translators apparently. Off they go and in they come, and over again.

Cannot add much more. They will not disappear, no. However, time will come when we will stop being surprised and hopefully will just ignore the matter.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:06
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
We all need to learn Greenlandic or Kichu Jul 7, 2015

http://www.clarktranslations.com/price_list.htm

Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 03:06
English to Polish
+ ...
... Jul 11, 2015

You need a bit better English if you want to translate professionally.

MartaJ
United Kingdom
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
Money matters Jul 13, 2015

In deed `of` creeped in my translating legal documents. Appreciate your comment on the grammar and use of English Łukasz Gros-Furmankiewicz but part of translation service can be proof-reading which I did not necessarily completed while putting this post on the forum.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for translating of legal texts PolishEnglish

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search