Calculating Website Translation Fee
Thread poster: nkingles

nkingles  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
Jul 10, 2015

How do you generally calculate the price for the translation of a complete website? It would be from Portuguese into English.

Thanks

Direct link Reply with quote

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:47
Member (2015)
German to English
I ask for a file containing the content Jul 10, 2015

and then apply my usual rate.

This is generally the least fiddly way of doing it and ensures both you and the client know exactly the scope of the work. Make sure that you have a clause to ensure that any additional or forgotten texts are billed extra and not to be included in your initial quote.

All of my clients so far have been happy to provide the source files.

[Edited at 2015-07-10 23:57 GMT]

Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Member (2002)
English to Russian
Ask for the entire batch of source files to be translated Jul 10, 2015

I agree with Andrea on this point. Otherwise, you risk facing a problem with dynamic content, if any, which might result in a much larger scope of work and, therefore, in a nasty dispute with your client.

Elif Baykara  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 01:47
Member (2015)
German to Turkish
+ ...
Whether you use a CAT tool or not, Jul 10, 2015

ask for clear and definite source files, be it .doc, .xlliff or .xml. I don't know what the client supposed but it is not rational to translate directly from the website. I recommend to clarify the source word count beforehand.

MariusJacobsen  Identity Verified
Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Hourly rate if they don't have the wordcount Jul 10, 2015

If they can't manage to tell you the wordcount, you can apply an hourly rate. Use this formula:

(Average number of words translated per day X typical rate per source word) / number of hours in your average working day = hourly rate.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:47
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Only alternative to editable files Jul 10, 2015

MariusJacobsen wrote:
If they can't manage to tell you the wordcount, you can apply an hourly rate. Use this formula:

(Average number of words translated per day X typical rate per source word) / number of hours in your average working day = hourly rate.

I've twice had a problem with one client, a communications agency. The first time, I agreed to do a copy/paste myself from the online site. I gave a quote based on my word count. Post-translation, they came back to say I'd missed some and they needed the rest urgently. It was amicable but obviously I'd boobed. The second time, I insisted on getting the files from them. Post-translation, they came back to me in a huge rush to say that the end-client wasn't happy as THEY had missed some! We still collaborate and we've clearly both learned that particular lesson.

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:47
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Website Translation Cost Jul 10, 2015

Either .02 a word ($10.00 per 500 words): http://www.woodstitch.com/resources/professional-website-translation.php

or .01 per word ($5.00 per 500): http://www.examiner.com/article/fiverr-takes-on-website-translation-services

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:47
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not helpful, Jeff Jul 10, 2015

There are loads of new translators on this site who may not have any idea how UNprofessional those sites are. And they are going to be the ones attracted by the subject of this thread, so let's stick to giving them useful information, eh?

nkingles  Identity Verified
United States
Portuguese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jul 11, 2015

Thank you for all of the great feedback! I am always pleasantly surprised by everyone's participation and feedback! I think I will try to get some type of document with all of the website content. Many thanks!

José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 19:47
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Room for automation Jul 11, 2015

In most cases, the client is the site owner, who doesn't know much about web development, though they might be somewhat familiar with the target language. They'll use a thoroughbred monoglot web developer, so there might be a missing bridge there.

First, they ask me for a cost estimate. How do I proceed?

I use HTTrack to download the entire site to my hard disk. Then I use an ancient free version of CatsCradle to count words in all pages. Then I apply my rates on the word count, and have a cost estimate.

CatsCradle is quite affordable, $50, so I'd buy it if I had any large request. However in all these years, all web site translation orders I got were:
a) so small, that the old free CatsCradle could handle it;
b) given for translation in DOC/DOCX; or
c) assigned to cheaper translators (or machine translation).

The thing with CatsCradle, which has its own internal CAT/TM system is that it will leave page URLs and links untouched. In fact, it will overwrite the original page files with their translations.

I consider this good, since I don't know their webmaster's strategy.
I mean, if it's "site.com" for Brazil, I don't know if they'll be using br.site.com, site.com.br, site.com/br or whatever.
So I'll copy the entire downloaded site to a new folder, and translate it there. The web developer will then have an identical site in PT, and may edit all the links/URLs according to their stategy, leaving the text untouched.

Of course, if there are any images with embedded text, I'll charge separately for graphic editing.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Calculating Website Translation Fee

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search