Rasa Mikalauskaite
Belgium
Local time: 20:59
Member (2016)
Dutch to Lithuanian
+ ...
Jul 18, 2015

Hello,

Advice, information on rates for captioning and subtitling/minute (English-East. European language)?
I am not sure what price I should ask from a client,

Thank you in advance!

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:59
English to German
+ ...
Advice Jul 19, 2015

Litouws wrote:

Hello,

Advice, information on rates for captioning and subtitling/minute (English-East. European language)?
I am not sure what price I should ask from a client,

Thank you in advance!

Rule of thumb: Know how to do a job! If you don't, don't do it! If you do know, charge a professional rate! You can always be flexible with rates. But there is a limit to what a code of ethics and a simple business sense should allow you to do. Accepting exploitative rates doesn't help you, nor does it help the profession.

To learn more about this issue, there are plenty of forum posts on Proz.com. Just look for them.

Here's some basic information:

Captioning versus subtitling = two different things:

Closed Captioning:
http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/254464-closed_captioning_rates.html

Quote:

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:
While subtitling can be done with extremely high quality using freeware, closed captioning absolutely requires specialized software, not free, and not so cheap either.

The difference is that while subtitles are burned on the video, closed captions are encoded on it, and need to be decoded by the TV where they will be played (which may lack such feature). It is so different that closed captions can be added to analog video, e.g. the agonizing VHS.

Subtitles may be authored onto a DVD, hence overlaid on the video, yet no free DVD authoring software provides high quality.

In all the 26 years I've been working with video dubbing and later subtitling too, I only got four scattered requests for closed captions. These would never justify investing in the proper software. In all these cases, clients agreed to have me merely subtitle the captions, permanently burned on the video.

Apparently there are some issues with closed captions on DVD. I read something about that on Wikipedia in English.

You need to know exactly what is asked of you - are you to "simply" transcribe the audio? Did the prospective client send you the video? Were you asked to use a specific software program? Were you asked if you had the necessary software programs to do this job? Was it made clear that you would be required to charge per video minute doing both, captioning and subtitling? Did you ask the client what was exactly required of you with regard to captioning and, as a separate task, to subtitling? This will make a major difference. If this is a professional prospective client, I take it he/she would make certain basic tasks very clear. He/she would also be looking for an expert who has done this before.

Subtitling:

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/52756-[subtitling_rates]_per_minute_rates-page2.html#993871

Quote:
kmtext wrote:
... from experience, some of the UK subtitling houses outsourced a lot of work to India a couple of years ago. Soon after, they stopped doing that because their clients and proofers complained about the quality of the work, mainly due to mishearings, lack of understanding of regional dialects and slang, not to mention failure to understand cultural references and jokes.

Basically, you get what you pay for. If you're happy to have low quality captions, that's what you get. If you want good quality subtitling and/or translation, you have to pay for it. Some companies are trying to drive the rates down even lower here now. I've had to decline some jobs recently because I couldn't afford to carry out the work. I'd have to do a 16-hour day working flat out to make a decent amount of money at the rate they offered and life's too short for that.

Work per minute >>> defined: be careful!

Tatjana Kresnik wrote:

Minute per film/video
Vitaly Kisin wrote:

Is this a minute of future film or video, or a minute of time the translator spends working on it? many thanks

It is a rate per minute of film or video, not the time spent translating it.

You need to take into account how much work per video minute, i.e for captioning and or subtitling, is involved.

More info:

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/284728-current_subtitling_rates.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/283471-ask_me_anything_about_subtitling-page2.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/52756-[subtitling_rates]_per_minute_rates.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/271439-subtitling_rates.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/227905-what_is_a_reasonable_rate_for_translating_subtitles.html

http://www.proz.com/forum/subtitling/255043-advice_on_subtitling_rates.html

[Edited at 2015-07-19 15:43 GMT]

Rasa Mikalauskaite
Belgium
Member (2016)
Dutch to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Txs Jul 19, 2015

That really is a very comprehensive answer!

Thank you very much:)

Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:59
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Agree Jul 20, 2015

[quote]Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Know how to do a job! If you don't, don't do it! [quote]

Indeed, that was a very comprehensive response, but the statement above always puts a smile on my face: it seems that Bernhard was born already knowing everything about whatever he is doing nowicon_smile.gif So if someone did not have that luck of being born with the full package of knowledge, then don't dare to even think of learningicon_smile.gif
I didn't reply to that job listing, normally such projects don't pay off.

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:59
English to German
+ ...
@Inga Jul 20, 2015

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Know how to do a job! If you don't, don't do it!

Indeed, that was a very comprehensive response, but the statement above always puts a smile on my face: it seems that Bernhard was born already knowing everything about whatever he is doing nowicon_smile.gif So if someone did not have that luck of being born with the full package of knowledge, then don't dare to even think of learningicon_smile.gif

Where do I say don't dare learning ...
But if you are trying to offer your services for closed captioning and subtitling, the client will assume you know what you are doing.
If you haven't done anything like it, read up on it, get the software, try it out, talk to experts, read posts, ...
If you don't know how much to charge, learn about what it means to accept such a job per video minute etc.
I wanted to tell newcomers to be cautious before accepting anything that they don't have any experience in.

And, no, I was not born knowing everything I know now. It took me quite a while, and it wasn't easy.

[Edited at 2015-07-20 15:01 GMT]

Rasa Mikalauskaite
Belgium
Member (2016)
Dutch to Lithuanian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Jul 20, 2015

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Know how to do a job! If you don't, don't do it!

Where do I say don't dare learning ...
But if you are trying to offer your services for closed captioning and subtitling, the client will assume you know what you are doing.
If you haven't done anything like it, read up on it, get the software, try it out, talk to experts, read posts, ...
If you don't know how much to charge, learn about what it means to accept such a job per video minute etc.
I wanted to tell newcomers to be cautious before accepting anything that they don't have any experience in.

And, no, I was not born knowing everything I know now. It took me quite a while, and it wasn't easy.

[Edited at 2015-07-20 15:01 GMT]

I never said I had no experience in subtitling, I've just never been paid per minute, hence my inquiry.
Didn't intend to provoke a discussion.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate per minute/captioning and subtitling

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search