Thread poster: Inga Petkelyte

Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 23:23
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 23, 2015

Sorry,, if this has been already covered:
How do you wordcount coats of arms and stamps?
In a file converted from PDF to Word, the Word counts, naturally, words yet leaves coats of arms and stamps beyond counting. Nevertheless, we have to mention coats of arms, logos and translate the stamps.
How do you count them where the wordcount is based on the source text?

Direct link Reply with quote

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:23
English to French
+ ...
I count everything Jul 23, 2015

I suppose you mean text in pictures?

What I do in such cases is to create 2-column tables containing the source and target text, and to add the TOTAL word count of such tables the existing word count, to account for the time required to enter the uncounted text.

Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Interesting Jul 23, 2015

JL01 wrote:

I suppose you mean text in pictures?

What I do in such cases is to create 2-column tables containing the source and target text, and to add the TOTAL word count of such tables the existing word count, to account for the time required to enter the uncounted text.

That's an interesting approach. How much time do you atribute to "translating" an image with a coat of arms? or a logo? and if the logo contains also a name or a slogan but still is an image in your source texto?

philgoddard
United States
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
How Jul 23, 2015

do you translate a coat of arms? Does it have a three-word motto underneath it or something? If so, add three to the wordcount if you think it's important.

Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's not that I think Jul 23, 2015

The translation must contain whatever comes in the original document, it's not up to the translator's thinking.
Coat of arms or logo must be mentioned as such in brackets. A logo with a phrase must be referred to as /Logo with (or containing) an inscription: xxx yyy zzz/.
And where a document is certified by a notary public, various stamps and coats of arms come into picture in one single document, sometimes half a page.
Hence the origin of my question.

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:23
English to French
+ ...
See my original answer Jul 23, 2015

Indeed. My original answer explained my solution.

Such additional costs have to be negotiated with the customer, preferably before agreeing to the translation.

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

The translation must contain whatever comes in the original document, it's not up to the translator's thinking.
Coat of arms or logo must be mentioned as such in brackets. A logo with a phrase must be referred to as /Logo with (or containing) an inscription: xxx yyy zzz/.
And where a document is certified by a notary public, various stamps and coats of arms come into picture in one single document, sometimes half a page.

Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:23
Chinese to English
Always been very minor, done for free Jul 23, 2015

I've never made a conscious effort to charge for seals and things like that. If I'm invoicing by source word count, I just throw them in for free. I've never had a document with enough seals and stamps to make it worth my time to bill for them. If I'm charging by target word count, then they are included naturally.

Usually, the time it takes to check and make a note of the word count in seals exceeds the amount of time it takes to translate them, so I can't imagine ever itemising and charging pro rata for them. If there were a lot in a document, I might add a small formatting fee to my normal translation charge.

Vitals  Identity Verified
Lithuania
Local time: 01:23
Member (2008)
English to Lithuanian
+ ...
Target count Jul 23, 2015

Target word count (not Source) helps in cases like this. Then a coloured round or rectangular picture with letters all around it turns into word count.

I mean to say that things like [Round seal: Ministry of Justice of Ukraine / Civil registry department /...] or whatever are then nicely reflected in the actual word count.

You can negotiate Source word count for general text + Target word only for stamps, etc.

Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
OCR + translate Jul 23, 2015

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

Most of the time I OCR them and provide translation underneath. Now, In Spain for example you are not allowed to reproduce seals/signatures.

I do invoice target word count (source is almost always pdf).

Lotte Nouwkens
Local time: 00:23
Czech to Flemish
+ ...
translating slogans? Mar 17, 2016

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

I work in the abovementioned way for logos, seals, stamps etc., but if the logo or the name of the institution contains a slogan, do you also translate the slogan or do you keep the original, or write both?

Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A good question Mar 18, 2016

Lotte Nouwkens wrote:

Inga Petkelyte wrote:

I work in the abovementioned way for logos, seals, stamps etc., but if the logo or the name of the institution contains a slogan, do you also translate the slogan or do you keep the original, or write both?

That's a good question.
Ibelieve it depends on the purpose of the translation: if it is, say, a litigation documentation whrere slogans don't have any importance, I would leave them in the original.
Yet in marketing, slogans bear a huge power. Actually, this is their main reason of existance. Then translataing makes sense and is necessary. Not always possible, though.
"Think different": easy to translate and sounds good translated in many languages.
"Das Auto": loses sense in translation and is even impossible to translate in some cases as not all languages have articles.
"Power to you": possible to translate but some countries keep the original (Depends on the slogan owner policy?).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Coat of Arms as a word?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search