Translation test and evaluation
Thread poster: Alexandre Chetrite

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 13:48
English to French
Jul 28, 2015

Hi,

I recently undertook a translation test for a translation agency. I didn't pass based on "very subjective criteria" according to "Professional Talent Manager".

Now that makes me wonder if I can ask for more details about why I haven't been selected or is it a waste of my time?

Usually I don't bother investigating because I can't force an agency to give me more details (they don't have to, but they could if they wanted).

But in this case I don't feel at ease with the the answer. Something's wrong with it...Its the word "very" (subjective criteria). What are their evaluation criteria? What do they call subjective? Is there any "objective" criteria?

Regards,

[Edited at 2015-07-28 21:22 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

inesec  Identity Verified
Latvia
German to English
+ ...
It sounds to me Jul 28, 2015

that the reviewer is not interested in competitors. "Very subjective" can mean "specific" but every respectable agency in these cases specifies its criteria.

[Edited at 2015-07-28 12:55 GMT]

Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:48
Member (2014)
English to German
Look at their website! Jul 28, 2015

You will notice that they charge their clients less than what would be considered a professional fee for a translator (except for their Enterprise rate), so you can imagine what they would pay the translators?

From that point of view I would say, don't bother.

[Edited at 2015-07-28 10:17 GMT]

Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:48
Chinese to English
+ ...
No real problem Jul 28, 2015

Looks like they're saying that "Your work isn't bad, it's just not what we're looking for". Doesn't look like there's a real problem.

Alexandre Chetrite
France
Local time: 13:48
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Poste deleted Jul 28, 2015

Post deleted.

[Edited at 2015-07-28 12:17 GMT]

Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:48
Chinese to English
+ ...
How much information can you give on a purely subjective thing? Jul 28, 2015

Alexandre Chetrite wrote:

Hi Lincoln Jui,

Again it's all about interpreting one's writing...I understand it this way, you this way, another another way, etc.

It's just that the talent manager could give a little more information (if available) just to make sure that there is no confusion and to make all things clear for both communicants.

Anyway I think it's not worth wasting my time anymore for this, but I was a little puzzled at first.

Regards,

I hate cherries. There's nothing wrong with cherries, objectively speaking. I don't know how much more information I can give except that I don't like the taste, I don't like the smell, etc. and I think they've already given you all the information that's useful.

[Edited at 2015-07-28 12:15 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation test and evaluation

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search