https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/29066-new_translator%3A_quote_for_literary_translation_%2B_page_layout.html

new translator: quote for literary translation + page layout
Thread poster: Kate Higgins
Kate Higgins
Kate Higgins
Local time: 13:00
French to English
+ ...
Feb 3, 2005

I am trying to put together a bid for a literary translation (Fr-En) for a series of children's books. The books themselves are quite short, but I assume I just charge per word as usual, taking each book as a separate project.
However, I have been asked to include 'maquettation' as well as translation in my quote. The software to be used is QuarkXPress - how do I charge? Should I charge for simply having the software and knowing how to use it? I assume that the originals will come to me i
... See more
I am trying to put together a bid for a literary translation (Fr-En) for a series of children's books. The books themselves are quite short, but I assume I just charge per word as usual, taking each book as a separate project.
However, I have been asked to include 'maquettation' as well as translation in my quote. The software to be used is QuarkXPress - how do I charge? Should I charge for simply having the software and knowing how to use it? I assume that the originals will come to me in Quark documents, so I needn't actually do much formatting.
Is this a reasonable/common request from them?
I'd be very grateful for any advice!
Collapse

David Sirett
David Sirett
French to English
+ ...
Don't assume anything! Feb 4, 2005

Kate Higgins wrote:

...I assume I just charge per word as usual, taking each book as a separate project.
...how do I charge? ... I assume that the originals will come to me in Quark documents, so I needn't actually do much formatting.
Is this a reasonable/common request from them?

If you have Quark Express and know how to use it, then their request is not unreasonable.
If you have experience in page layout, it is not unreasonable for you to do the work. (If you don't have layout experience, don't take the job!)
Do not assume the originals will be Quark documents, check with the potential customer before giving your price.
Usually layout would be charged by the hour, I think, and you really need to look at the documents before you can see how much work is involved.
Either charge by the word for the translation and by the hour for the layout, or charge by the hour for everything, or give them a single inclusive price for the project.

Regards
David

María Roberto (X)
María Roberto (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Agree Feb 4, 2005

Please, have a look at:
1) www.calamoycran.com.
2)www.gls-online.com/
"Maquettation" (FR) is another service!
Regards,
María

Kate Higgins
Kate Higgins
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Feb 7, 2005

Thank you for your comments. I have since checked with the client, and all the documents in French will be available in Quark, so it will just be a case of replacing the words in French with English, and therefore not much page layout at all...
Your suggestions have certainly helped me to get a better idea of what the job involves.
Thank you once again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

new translator: quote for literary translation + page layout

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »