Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:26
Member (2006)
Russian to English
+ ...
Sep 15, 2015

Hi there

I am owed a fairly large amount by a Japanese client. It has reached the stage where I need to consider legal action. Does anyone here have any experience/knowledge of launching formal/legal proceedings to retrieve bad debts in Japan?

Any insights or pointers would be very welcome.

Thanks,
Dan

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 19:26
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
My experience Sep 16, 2015

Dan Brennan wrote:

I am owed a fairly large amount by a Japanese client. It has reached the stage where I need to consider legal action. Does anyone here have any experience/knowledge of launching formal/legal proceedings to retrieve bad debts in Japan?

Dan

My initial assumption was that, no bad payers exist in Japan. When I met an annoying guy from Fukuoka, I changed my mind and realized that non-payers exist anywhere anyhow in our translation industry.
Now I set a number of measures to prevent annoying non-payers of my Internet based jobs e.g. hiring local debt collectors, accepting only large volume jobs to compensate for debt collecting handling fees.

Soonthon L.icon_biggrin.gif

Dan12
Malaysia
share my experience Sep 16, 2015

I was not paid even after sending many email to the client. Fortunately I got some legal advise and can proof that the work is done by me and using copyright to get back the payment before start legal proceeding. It has saved my some legal fee...

Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 14:26
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Start with a BB entry? Sep 16, 2015

Hi Dan,

To start with: why don't you make an entry for this outsourcer at the Blue Board? This is quite helpful sometimes. maybe it would hekp in you case as well?

Best,
Natalia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dealing with bad payer in Japan

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search