Failure of payment
Thread poster: IOLIVE
IOLIVE
IOLIVE
Local time: 06:28
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 8, 2015

Hi! I would like to request some help about failure of payment. I applied to a job posted here, and I was selected for performing a quite big translation 6000 words. The whole transaction was made via my private email. Since I handled the translation done, in due deadline, I had only a few evasive messages from the agency concerning invoicing, and now - about 3 weeks later, no more message whatsoever, no replies to my messages. What can I do about it? Thanxx for any help!

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:28
Member (2008)
Italian to English
FIRST things first Oct 8, 2015

IOLIVE wrote:

Hi! I would like to request some help about failure of payment. I applied to a job posted here, and I was selected for performing a quite big translation 6000 words. The whole transaction was made via my private email. Since I handled the translation done, in due deadline, I had only a few evasive messages from the agency concerning invoicing, and now - about 3 weeks later, no more message whatsoever, no replies to my messages. What can I do about it? Thanxx for any help!

First: check the agency's Blue Board record.

Then come back here and tell us what the BB says. Don't mention the name of the agency.

IOLIVE
IOLIVE
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Blue Bord Oct 8, 2015

Thank you for the advice, Tom! In principle everything is ok with the agency blueboard, 4.6 LWA. What else can I do?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
More questions than answers, I'm afraid Oct 8, 2015

Dear Iolive,

Your main occupation seems to be neuroscientist, so you may be unaware of how rogue the translation market can be: scams, late payment, underpayment, no payment, bogus companies, just to mention a few, common problems.

Tom suggests you check the outsourcer's Blue Board, but since you are not a Proz member, you don't have access to that. I can do it for you once if you send me a private e-mail with the client details; their identity will remain confidential,
... See more
Dear Iolive,

Your main occupation seems to be neuroscientist, so you may be unaware of how rogue the translation market can be: scams, late payment, underpayment, no payment, bogus companies, just to mention a few, common problems.

Tom suggests you check the outsourcer's Blue Board, but since you are not a Proz member, you don't have access to that. I can do it for you once if you send me a private e-mail with the client details; their identity will remain confidential, but I may post anonymous Blue Board information here. You could also check http://www.translator-scammers.com/ , but you will only find real scammers there, not simply those who drag out payment. As a general rule, I would never work for an outsourcer who didn't have a good Blue Board record. If you work regularly with translation, being a Proz member is almost a must so you can check outsourcers.

Which payment deadline did you agree? You said you followed up after three weeks, but most outsourcers practise deadlines between 30 and 60 days, possibly plus end-of-month.

In which country did the outsourcer say they are based?

Do you have their full address?

Did you do anything to verify the company is genuine? If yes, what?

Did the outsourcer contact you via Proz? If not, how?

What sort of e-mail address did they use? A company-specific domain or just a gmail/yahoo/hotmail or similar generic address?

Did you look up the geographic location of the IP address they sent you the e-mail from (on www.ipgeek.net for example)?
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Wrong Oct 8, 2015

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Tom suggests you check the outsourcer's Blue Board, but since you are not a Proz member, you don't have access to that.

http://www.proz.com/profile/2070773

IOLIVE
IOLIVE
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I checked the blueboard Oct 8, 2015

Dear Mr Frost,

thank you for your through message! Yes, I cannot entirely access the blueboard, but it seems rather good. And the agency has a good LWA, 4.6. The email is professional, and they had a big client, which translation I made directly in their website. The thing is not the delay in payment, I was aware of it. The problem is that I could not even invoice?? And they simply do not reply to me.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Not a paying member Oct 8, 2015

Tom, Iolive is not a paying member. If you make the cursor hover above the blue member symbol in a paying member's profile, you can see the terminology they use is "This is a Proz.com member".

Only paying members have access to the Blue Board, unless they've opened it for everybody recently.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
You said Oct 8, 2015

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Tom, Iolive is not a paying member.

You said Iolive is not a member. Thanks for correcting yourself.

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
. Oct 8, 2015

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Only paying members have access to the Blue Board, unless they've opened it for everybody recently.

It's been the case for as long as I can remember that everyone can access the Blue Board, including the ratings out of 5, but only paying members can read the comments.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
I think you're right Oct 8, 2015

philgoddard wrote:

It's been the case for as long as I can remember that everyone can access the Blue Board, including the ratings out of 5, but only paying members can read the comments.

Yes, I think you're right.

The impression I remember from before I became a paid member is that only having access to the ratings wasn't very useful. There can be important information in individual comments that aren't necessarily reflected in the rating.

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
She is not a member Oct 8, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Tom, Iolive is not a paying member.

You said Iolive is not a member. Thanks for correcting yourself.

She is not a member. Member is the term Proz uses for paying members. It's the same thing. They call it full member some places. I'm not correcting myself, I'm making it clear what being a member means.

Example:

"Members appear before all non-members in the directory"
http://www.proz.com/membership/

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Terms here Oct 8, 2015

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
She is not a member. Member is the term Proz uses for paying members. It's the same thing. They call it full member some places.

I think you'll find the correct terms here are "registered user" and "paying/premium member" HTH

Actually, users can pay a dollar (or presumably the equivalent in euros) to get the full BB record of an outsourcer. I'd say it was certainly worthwhile when you're actually thinking of collaborating with one, though of course those dollars would soon add up to a membership fee, which opens the door to many more advantages.

As for advice to the OP, I'm also waiting for some clarification. I doubt that the payment is actually late as yet, but I'm wondering if an invoice has actually been sent. The first jobs for a freelancer are always difficult and this could be anything from a misunderstanding of the way things work, via a low-grade agency trying to eke out their pennies by giving extremely low priority to a job once it's been delivered, through to being scammed

Serena Basili
Serena Basili  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 11:28
English to Italian
+ ...
Blue Board Oct 8, 2015

I am not a paying member but I can access to the Blue Board and read ratings as well as comments: I use Browniz to pay the access to a specific agency and check if it is reliable or not.

@IOlive, I hope this helps!

Thomas T. Frost
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
Terminology Oct 8, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:
She is not a member. Member is the term Proz uses for paying members. It's the same thing. They call it full member some places.

I think you'll find the correct terms here are "registered user" and "paying/premium member" HTH

As I said, Proz itself uses the term "member", for example: "Members appear before all non-members in the directory". You may have the opinion that the site uses an incorrect term for members, of course.

A debate about what to call it, and whether Proz itself uses an incorrect term, is hardly relevant for this topic.

Yolanda Broad
Yolanda Broad  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:28
Member (2000)
French to English
+ ...

Please submit a Support request Oct 8, 2015

Dear IOLIVE,

Since you say the job was posted on ProZ.com, you should contact Support via a Support request to explain the issue. They can't help you get paid, but they can check on the behavior of a someone who posted a job on this Website.

IOLIVE wrote:

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Failure of payment

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »