How to charge for abstracts jobs?
Thread poster: Simone Silvestrin

Simone Silvestrin
Brazil
Local time: 22:55
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 20, 2015

I received an assignment to do an abstract from Portuguese to English, to obtain just the main information from some leases. Should I charge per word or time? Or per contract...

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 08:55
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
EN>JP pair, project based price Oct 21, 2015

Simone Silvestr wrote:

I received an assignment to do an abstract from Portuguese to English, to obtain just the main information from some leases. Should I charge per word or time? Or per contract...

in 1980s I did EN>JP pair of abstract writing for the Japanese science and technology express journal. I was paid by target words. I spent long time to read and short time to write. I did this job continuously for nearly 2 years. Besides translation, I absorbed a wide range of technical knowledge since source texts were in many European and American journals.

Soonthon L.

Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 03:55
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Time Oct 21, 2015

I find time is the only realistic way to do it.

It may be more expensive than the client expects even so.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to charge for abstracts jobs?

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search