Translation company doesn't pay or is slow to do so, say workers
Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:27
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 23, 2015

A reminder to always check the ProZ BlueBoard... One woman was owed over $8,000.

One of the hazards of being a "mega-agency" is that unpaid bills make national (and sometimes international) news.

According to the article or comments, some translators are still working for them because "they have no other choice..." and "hope that they will eventually be paid..."??

"A translation company that does millions of dollars in business with public agencies and well-known corporations takes months to pay professional interpreters, or fails to pay them altogether, say dozens of people who have worked for the firm. "

Full article here:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/able-cbc-investigates-1.3283950?cmp=rss

[Edited at 2015-10-23 17:09 GMT]


 

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:27
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Always, always check Oct 23, 2015

Jeff Whittaker wrote:
A reminder to always check the ProZ BlueBoard... One woman was owed over $8,000.

Thank you Jeff, excellent point.

One complaint about an agency from a translator or interpreter can be dismissed as unfortunate. In this case that's clearly not the case: the company is banned from posting and the Blue Board record is consistently poor going back many years.

A quick look at paymentpractices.net also shows a record of very low scores from translators going back more than a decade.

Why do people deal with such agencies? It's asking for trouble. Don't get involved. If we collectively make it difficult or impossible for poor agencies to work with competent linguists and they will eventually be driven out of the industry.

Dan


 

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:27
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translation company doesn't pay or is slow to do so, say workers Oct 23, 2015

According to the article or comments (can't remember where I read it), some translators are still working for them because "they have no other choice..." (I guess this means they have no other clients) and "keep working in the hope that they will eventually be paid..."??

If you show up at the office in person (like one person did) and they refuse to speak with you, then you know something is wrong.


Dan Lucas wrote:

Why do people deal with such agencies? It's asking for trouble. Don't get involved. If we collectively make it difficult or impossible for poor agencies to work with competent linguists and they will eventually be driven out of the industry.


[Edited at 2015-10-23 17:12 GMT]


 

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:27
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Never think you are smarter than the rest! Oct 24, 2015

My advice is that we take the Blueboard very seriously.

I was recently approached by an agency who had scored several ones, twos and threes (slow payment/lack of payment) in the Blueboard over the years, but had mostly fives over the last year and a half or so. I let my instinct rule on this one, and politely reported that I was in no position to serve them. Instead of thanking me for my reply, they tried harder and reported that they were willing to pay the magnificent sum of 1/4 of my usual rate. That certainly almost made me change my mind!

Never think that you are smarter or luckier than those who have posted low scores for an agency. When people put their names beside a bad score for an agency, they mean it.


 

DLyons  Identity Verified
Ireland
Local time: 23:27
Spanish to English
+ ...
From Bloomberg Oct 25, 2015

Mr. XXX has established and runs a number of successful companies in the language, transportation, marketing and technology sectors, including YYY Translations ... with offices across Canada, in Europe and Asia. He has participated in various international trade missions and has also taken a leadership role in the development of standards ...

[Edited at 2015-10-25 18:48 GMT]


 

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:27
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Evasive Oct 25, 2015

DLyons wrote:
Mr. XXX has established and runs a number of successful companies in the language, transportation, marketing and technology sectors

Yes, I saw that, shameful the way the owner was trying to imply that it was a small number of malcontents that are causing the problem. If that's the case, why is his firm throwing up so many more weak reviews than other firms?

Being bad enough to get banned from posting jobs on ProZ doesn't happen by accident or coincidence.

Dan


 

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:27
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Highs and Lows Oct 26, 2015

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Never think that you are smarter or luckier than those who have posted low scores for an agency. When people put their names beside a bad score for an agency, they mean it.


Well said. And that's why, at least to my mind, low BB scores carry far greater weight than high BB scores. After all, a translator might post a high Blue Board rating after doing just one job for an agency in the hopes of currying their favor and getting more work from them. Or a translator might actually have been directly asked by the agency to post a (positive) rating.

But when a translator has posted a low rating, he or she is generally renouncing any hope of working with that agency again, reflecting what has been a very bad experience.

In prevailing market conditions in the world of translation, this really is a significant statement.


 

Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:27
English to Spanish
... Oct 26, 2015

Robert Forstag wrote:

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
Never think that you are smarter or luckier than those who have posted low scores for an agency. When people put their names beside a bad score for an agency, they mean it.


Well said. And that's why, at least to my mind, low BB scores carry far greater weight than high BB scores. After all, a translator might post a high Blue Board rating after doing just one job for an agency in the hopes of currying their favor and getting more work from them. Or a translator might actually have been directly asked by the agency to post a (positive) rating.

But when a translator has posted a low rating, he or she is generally renouncing any hope of working with that agency again, reflecting what has been a very bad experience.

In prevailing market conditions in the world of translation, this really is a significant statement.


I completely agree with the above comments.

Unfortunately, and unbelievably as it seems, agencies with extremely low BB scores have their defenders among freelance translators. Look at this thread:

http://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/290303-working_for_an_agency_with_17_blueboard_points_3_entries_only.html


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translation company doesn't pay or is slow to do so, say workers

Advanced search







Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search