Paypal is offering 1% rebate to freelancers.... why isn't ProZ on their list?!
Thread poster: Dylan Jan Hartmann

Dylan Jan Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Nov 4, 2015

I (as I'm sure many others) received the email from PayPal stating: "Get paid for your freelancing work through PayPal and enjoy 1% rebate (up to US$30) on eligible payments received".

I thought, Great! About time we started getting some of those fees back (or at least a reduction on them!).

Sadly, ProZ is not included in their complete list of Freelance Partner Networks. (https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/en_SG/mktg/pdf/Senders-List-SGTHMY-v1.0.PDF)

Not fair when a service like "iDictate and Quicktate" is included but not "ProZ"

icon_frown.gif

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:47
Member (2008)
Italian to English
No way Nov 4, 2015

I wouldn't touch PayPal with a bargepole or as the late great cartoonist John Glashan might have put it, "I wouldn't touch PayPal with a pair of *mint* surgical tweezers".

http://tinyurl.com/uggq

Maxi Schwarz
Local time: 00:47
German to English
+ ...
I don't understand Nov 4, 2015

Ok, I understand the first part - the idea of getting paid for freelance work via Paypal. I don't quite understand why they are announcing it, since we have always been able to get paid via various options: cheque, cash, bank transfer, and Paypal. It doesn't seem to be anything new. But the part I don't understand is the "freelance partner networks". I have never worked through "networks", whatever, those are, and my freelance work does not involve such "partners". So before even wondering whether ProZ should be included, I don't know what this has to do with freelance work and being paid via Paypal.

Markus Nystrom  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:47
Swedish to English
+ ...
Freelancer's Union anecdote Nov 4, 2015

Reminds me of a situation years back when I tried to join the "Freelancer's Union" health insurance program in NYC. When I called up, excited to join the privileged contract workers lucky enough to be able to buy their own insurance on the open "market", such as it was at the time, I was told that translators were not an eligible category of freelancer. When I expressed dismay, the representative recommended that I engage in some lobbying to have the profession included. In the new, even more glorious era, presumably freelance translators are not only able to buy insurance, but even under compulsion to do so. This is progress. Forward!

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 07:47
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
It was a limited offer, ended on 31 October Nov 4, 2015

DJHartmann wrote:
I received the email from PayPal stating: "Get paid for your freelancing work through PayPal and enjoy 1% rebate (up to US$30) on eligible payments received".

I googled a bit and found: it was a time-limited offer, for August, September and October 2015 only. You could get up to 1% rebate per month, capped at USD 10 per month.

I suspect that their offer worked for those other sites because freelancers on those sites get paid via those sites. The client pays e.g. Elance.com, who then holds on to the money until the client says "I'm happy", and then releases the funds to the freelancer. We ProZians are paid by clients directly, so it wouldn't be possible for PayPal to determine whether an incoming fund transfer is "freelance payment" or just a transfer of money.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Paypal is offering 1% rebate to freelancers.... why isn't ProZ on their list?!

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search