max_ol
Ukraine
Local time: 04:19
Member (2015)
English to Russian
+ ...
Nov 6, 2015

Hello fellow translators!

I was recently offered an in-house job with a game developer based in China, Shenzhen. While I am kind of interested in the position, I have little to no idea what kind of compensation and benefits should I and (can I) be asking for during the interview. Can anybody here advise?

Thanks in advance!

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:19
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
You might find better information elsewhere Nov 6, 2015

Some freelancers here might have a background as an in-house translator in China so it's certainly worth asking here. But I think you should also be looking more specifically at salaried positions in the area in which you're to be based (as I imagine pay rates vary between the different parts of China and between major cities and rural areas). If you can't find translator job, then you should at least get a rough idea from various other jobs where you provide intellectual input e.g. programmer, graphic artist, website content developer, editor/proofreader... There are sites specifically oriented to inhouse pay - adverts and forums.

max_ol
Ukraine
Member (2015)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will look into that, too. Nov 6, 2015

This a very valid point, Sheila, thank you! I'll certainly try and look into average wages in related spheres.

David Lin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:19
Member (2013)
English to Chinese
+ ...

Chinese Forum Nov 6, 2015

Maxim, you can try the Chinese Forum of ProZ.com. There might be people who can advise.

David Lin
Chinese Forum

max_ol
Ukraine
Member (2015)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Re:Chinese forum Nov 6, 2015

Thanks, David! I'll try cross-posting there too. This is the forum you were referring to, correct? http://www.proz.com/forum/34

[Редактировалось 2015-11-06 23:12 GMT]

Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:19
Chinese to English
Lifestyles Nov 8, 2015

Just realized you have two posts going on this topic, here's my response again from the Chinese forum:

Depends so much on what you want to do with your salary. Are you a young, single guy looking to have a fun time in Shenzhen (bars, clubs, fancy dinners, etc.)? A do-it yourself adventurer who's happy with getting dinner at the local noodle shop 6 times a week? Looking to save money? Or just come out even?

I've never lived in Shenzhen, but based on my time in Beijing and Xiamen, I can tell you that depending on what you're looking for, a salary that just meets your basic needs could be anywhere from 7-8000 to 25,000 RMB. My estimates would be:

7,000 RMB if you're single, and OK with just scraping by and experiencing China. You could probably find a room for 1000+ RMB in the suburbs somewhere, eat local food (with a splurge or two a month) and save just enough money to buy your plane ticket out.

10,000 RMB gives you the above and a nice place of your own closer to the city center.

15,000 as the entry bar (assuming you're now paying fairly significant taxes) in the 'young expat' lifestyle of clubs, bars and nicer things; more comfortable at 17-18,000.

I'd guess 20,000 if you have a family with you that you're supplying for alone (nice apartment, money to buy higher quality food, tuition fees at a nice school), and even that might not be enough--not that I'd know.

All of these are just my guesses for break-even levels after a year (figuring in a couple of holidays, etc.) Obviously you'd be looking at even higher totals if you're thinking of saving money.

The other thing to do is to really be sure you know what your prospective employer can and can't do for you visa-wise. My feeling is that most video game developers in China do not have the capacity to sponsor a foreign worker on a working visa. That doesn't mean that yours can't, but it's worth checking into. A definite warning sign is if the company tells you to come over to China on a tourist visa and says they will take care of things afterwards.

Edit: By the way, when I mentioned finding a 'room' for 1000+, I really did mean a room, not a whole apartment, unless you're WAY out in the sticks

[Edited at 2015-11-08 03:31 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-11-08 03:32 GMT]

Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:19
Chinese to English
Link Nov 8, 2015

Here's an article that might help: http://www.echinacities.com/Shenzhen/city-guide/Moving-to-Shenzhen-Heres-How-to-Save-RMB-in-the-PRD

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rates for in-house translator in China

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search