Thread poster: ARKADIUSZ KACZOROWSKI

ARKADIUSZ KACZOROWSKI  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:04
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
Nov 6, 2015

Does anyone know how much an in-house translator can make annually in the US? I was offered a job and was thinking about 70k annually. Is this a reasonable salary in the state of Georgia?

Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:04
German to English
$70K in Georgia is unlikely Nov 6, 2015

The average teacher's salary in Georgia is about $53,000/year, maxing to about $61,000 I would be shocked if an in-house salary in Georgia were anything near that.

TDVTrans  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:04
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not a chance! Nov 6, 2015

I worked as a project manager/in-house translator at an agency in New York some years back and I wasn't even paid close to $70K even with years of experience. I translate in five languages. Being an in-house translator just does not get rewarded enough. You're much better off being a freelance translator.

I highly doubt that in Georgia you would get paid anything close to that amount unless, perhaps, you know several difficult not so common languages. The only way I can see you getting paid that much is perhaps when you're an in-house translator at a law firm because, we all know, that law firms have money or perhaps in a Fortune 500 company.

I hope this was in some way helpful and was not meant to disillusion you.

Tom

ARKADIUSZ KACZOROWSKI  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:04
Member (2007)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you guys for the comments Nov 7, 2015

Thanks for the comments and your insight. I was afraid that this might be way too much for a potential employer. I used to make 55K in NYC as a PM, too. I thought that translators earned more money than PMs, teachers and clerical workers. Same kind of money may be made in Poland and the cost of living is much less compared to what you have to pay in NYC

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

In-house translator in the US

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search