Short film on free tests (and how other businesses react)
Thread poster: IrimiConsulting

IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 23:42
Member (2006)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Nov 11, 2015

I was recommended a short (2:32) film which illustrates nicely how other industries react to free tests.

https://youtu.be/essNmNOrQto

And here's the direct link I will put in my response to those who request free samples:

https://youtu.be/essNmNOrQto?t=28

Enjoy!

[Redigerad 2015-11-11 16:22 GMT]

Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:42
Member (2014)
English to German
Thank you! Nov 11, 2015

I added that to my resources.icon_smile.gif

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Great! Nov 11, 2015

Thank you for sharing. Twitted!!

Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
Test have their place Nov 11, 2015

To be quite honest, with all the people with PCs out there professing to be translators, I would want to know someone was actually capable before entrusting them with an important project.

The frame-maker in the video has samples of his work on show, therefore people can see (and physically touch) what he's capable of. Obviously if I have sample translations on my website, then I can point customers to them. But the client may want to know I'm capable of handling a very specific terminology type or subject area, that may not be covered by my samples.

A coffee costs a couple of dollars - if I buy one and it's awful, I've lost very little money. Hardly comparable to average translation costs.

Tests can also be a taster of how a translator works. Do they highlight any doubts they have? Do they run a spell check? Do they deliver on time?

I'm no die-hard fan of translation tests. Just saying they have their place, and don't really stand up to all the comparisons in the video.

Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:42
Member (2014)
English to German
Well, Nov 11, 2015

I do them occasionally, but not more than 300 words, however, if someone has 20 odd years experience, industry specific & translation qualifications, can show samples of work and published work ...

Really, it does seem a bit inappropriate to waste their time on tests, in order to check whether they run a spell check and deliver on time?icon_smile.gif

There is always an element of risk involved if someone is using a translator for the first time, but there are other ways of reducing those risks, e.g. looking at their background, references, samples and not entrusting a big very important project to someone new.

[Edited at 2015-11-11 19:35 GMT]

TranslateThis  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:42
Spanish to English
+ ...
You made my day! Nov 11, 2015

Tests may have their place, especially when someone has no experience, but why do they have to be unpaid? If you want to see if the translator is able to deliver error-free translation on time, then a short job should do.

Just say 'no' to unpaid tests.

LOL, I love the 'fee reduction' bit.

Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:42
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
My experience Nov 11, 2015

TranslateThis wrote:

Tests may have their place, especially when someone has no experience, but why do they have to be unpaid? If you want to see if the translator is able to deliver error-free translation on time, then a short job should do.

Just say 'no' to unpaid tests.

Right.

If an agency wants to test a translator, it can either offer a short assignment or a paid test.

The problem with unpaid tests is that they often place the fate of the tested translator in the hands of a proofreader who may or many not be qualified, may or may not be nitpicking, and may or may not have a dozen or so unpaid tests to grade (tests which may or may not have been done without outside help, or spending an undue amount of time to complete). And, in the end, a translator who has been required to take such an unpaid test and fails it may or may not see anything that explains such a decision, let alone be allowed to dispute it. Indeed, the translator may or may not even hear back again from the agency's representative who has provided the test.

Let there be some level of commensuration between the time spent by a translator to take a test and the agency imposing that requirement.

Kuochoe Nikoi  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 21:42
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Certainly Nov 12, 2015

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:
I'm no die-hard fan of translation tests. Just saying they have their place, and don't really stand up to all the comparisons in the video.

They have their place... if they're paid for at the translator's regular rate.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Short film on free tests (and how other businesses react)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search