What is the average rate per min for transcribing a text?
Thread poster: Ioanna Daskalopoulou

Ioanna Daskalopoulou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:50
English
+ ...
Nov 12, 2015

Dear Fellow Translators, Transcribers,

I would really like to get an idea on what is the average charge or minimum/maximum charge per audio minute for transcription.

Any feedback on that issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Victoria Britten  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 07:50
Member (2012)
French to English
+ ...
Rule of thumb Nov 12, 2015

This is one that was passed on to me, and that I've found useful. It's for a recording that is clearly understandable: no fuzz, no background noise, no weird accents... For transcribing into another language, 6 minutes to transcribe one minute, so 10 minutes transcribed per hour, and then you work that out on the basis of your usual hourly rate.

ajmer khan
Afghanistan
Local time: 10:20
English to Pashto (Pushto)
+ ...
I think 60 words will be in 1 minute audio so apply charges on the volume of words. Nov 13, 2015

Ioanna Daskalopoulou wrote:

Dear Fellow Translators, Transcribers,

I would really like to get an idea on what is the average charge or minimum/maximum charge per audio minute for transcription.

Any feedback on that issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

VicYas  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:50
Russian to English
+ ...
1 hour per day Nov 13, 2015

In my experience you can't transcribe more than 1 hour of lecture or report in English per day. For films or animated cartoons it depends on the text density (some short animated cartoons can have just several words in the entire film). So I usually charge my minimum daily rate per hour of the transcribed text.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:50
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
There really aren't average, min and max rates Nov 14, 2015

It depends on too many things. As said, an animation may not be wordy, but a presentation may have over 100 words in a minute. A meeting may have multiple speakers who are not identified by name; a film may have music or heated arguments; market research may have motorbikes and wind noise...

I always refuse to give a volume rate before I've had access to the audio. I just give my rate per hour of work. If you aren't sure, take a few minutes and transcribe them, remembering that you're going to have to check the transcript against the audio and make sure the spelling, punctuation etc is correct. Also, time-stamping can be a real time-taker.

If they want you to listen in one language and deliver a text in another, they havd to pay for two steps:
1. Transcription of n audio minutes
2. Translation of n source words i.e. of the transcript.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is the average rate per min for transcribing a text?

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search