Your input on pricing ...
Thread poster: Pdukatz

Pdukatz
Germany
Local time: 14:21
English to German
Nov 18, 2015

Hello friends,

can someone tell me what a standard rate for a linguistic review and also proofreading would be?

I would need

- an hourly rate for the review
- a rate for 1.000 words of proofreading

I just need to get an idea. So far I have mostly done translations. That's why I am a little bit insecure in terms of pricing.

Thanks so much for your input, I realy appreciate it.

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:21
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Aim at YOUR standard rate per hour Nov 18, 2015

Pdukatz wrote:
can someone tell me what a standard rate for a linguistic review and also proofreading would be?

You should know roughly how many words you can translate per hour; use that and your rate per word to estimate your hourly rate for translation. If - just an example - you know you can translate 500 words per hour and if you charge 0.08 per word then you're making 40 euro an hour, right? So charge 40 euro per hour for the review.

Same for the proofreading. Estimate how long it will take you to proofread 1,000 words. If it will take you half an hour, then charge 20 euro per 1,000 words. If it will take you one hour, then charge 40 euro per 1,000 words. If it will take you two hours to proofread 1,000 words then charge 80 euro. Change currency units as necessary.

Regards
Dan

Pdukatz
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Makes sense, but ... Nov 19, 2015

Makes perfectly sense. I have to take a look at my previous translations and take it from there.

It is just, that I have no tat much with prrofreading and / or linguisitc reviews yet, that's why I was asking for a rough guideline or a standard or average rate.

Thanks a lot for your feedback though.

Ceers

Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:21
Chinese to English
Agree; over-estimate if unsure Nov 19, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

Pdukatz wrote:

You should know roughly how many words you can translate per hour; use that and your rate per word to estimate your hourly rate for translation. If - just an example - you know you can translate 500 words per hour and if you charge 0.08 per word then you're making 40 euro an hour, right? So charge 40 euro per hour for the review.

Same for the proofreading. Estimate how long it will take you to proofread 1,000 words. If it will take you half an hour, then charge 20 euro per 1,000 words. If it will take you one hour, then charge 40 euro per 1,000 words. If it will take you two hours to proofread 1,000 words then charge 80 euro. Change currency units as necessary.

Regards
Dan

Good advice from Dan. If you're not worried about whether the client accepts or not, and just want a fair price for yourself, then if unsure on how much time to estimate the proofread will take assume a higher (not lower) number. Proofreading almost always takes longer than I think it will.

Pdukatz
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Good advice ... Nov 19, 2015

Hi Preston,

it is good to hear your take on proofreading. I haven't done it much but it sure seems like it could longer than expected. Well, I guess I#ll come up with a price and then see. There is always room for negotiation and they probably will do so anyway.

I just want to avoid knocking myself out of the ring because of giving them some moon quote that is not competetive .....

Thanks guys.

VicYas  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:21
Russian to English
+ ...
Depends on the translation quality Nov 19, 2015

I usually do not accept editing/proofreading assignments except from translators I personally know, close friends or long-term direct customers, but when I have to I charge it 50% of the respective translation fee (with all usual markups and discounts). When I find that the translation is very poor and requires too much time (it happens even with my very careful approach to such assignments), I immediately inform the customer that the job does not qualify for editing/proofreading and I am only ready to do it if paid at my standard translation fee.

[Edited at 2015-11-19 16:56 GMT]

Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Risky business Nov 19, 2015

VicYas wrote:
I usually do not accept editing/proofreading assignments except from translators I personally know, close friends or long-term direct custumers

I have a similar approach. There's just too much variation in quality to be able to come up with a reliable quote, so generally I avoid it unless things are very quiet.

Dan

Pdukatz
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Sounds not so great, but .... Nov 19, 2015

Hmmm, sounds like a lot of hassle.... However, it is a pretty renowned client. I'd be willing to give it a shot and see how it goes. I can only learn from this I reckon.

Thanks guys for your valuable input. Really appreciate it.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Rate for the job depends on quality, not volume Nov 19, 2015

Dan Lucas wrote:

VicYas wrote:
I usually do not accept editing/proofreading assignments except from translators I personally know, close friends or long-term direct custumers

I have a similar approach. There's just too much variation in quality to be able to come up with a reliable quote, so generally I avoid it unless things are very quiet.

Dan

Quoting per word can work for translating. As long as the source file is correctly written, it's down to our own skill and knowledge. Although not every word takes the same time, over a 1,000-word text things should average out.

Quoting per word when you're working with someone else's text rarely, if ever, works. You certainly shouldn't be giving a per-word quote until you've had a chance to examine the entire file. If in doubt, take an extract and work on it to find out how long it takes you. You can work out a per-word rate on that basis. But don't take the first paragraph! So often thing start well and then quality declines as deadlines loom, tiredness or boredom sets in or whatever. I've never found quality to improve.

Personally, I only ever quote my hourly rate. The client needs to have an idea of the total cost though so I give a maximum amount of time (and hence money) that I will invoice them for. I track my time and then charge accordingly, rounded up to the next quarter hour, up to the maximum. If it takes longer then I've lost out - my own fault. If it takes less than the maximum time then the client has a nice warm feeling - as though I've given a discount.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Revision service/s Nov 19, 2015

Both proofreading and editing should be charged by the hour, and never per word/ 1,000 words. Charging per word can easily backfire and leave you working without actually getting paid for your time (in case of poor translation quality). So make sure that you get to see the file to determine the quality of the translation. Just inform your client of your hourly rate and provide the time estimate you've come up with after a "first glance" at the entire file.

Jo Macdonald  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
Italian to English
+ ...
Revisions by the hour Nov 19, 2015

First have a look at the text.
If it's awful I refuse to do a revision and just say it needs to be translated properly. This will often get you a translation job and the client is happy because they get a good job done instead of a rehash.

If the translation is OK and the client wants an estimate on how much it'll cost I'll calculate the word count at half my per-word rate for translations. Then when doing the revision I see how much time it takes and calculate this at my hourly rate, charging the lower of the two amounts.
This makes the client happy because they end up paying less than the estimate.

The time x hourly rate is almost always lower than the word count x half translation rate, so I almost always invoice revisions at my hourly rate on the basis of how long it took to do.

If the job can't be estimated on the basis of a word count I refuse to estimate, or accept a client's estimate for how long it will take because I really don't know.

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
Sweden
German to Swedish
+ ...
Yes Nov 20, 2015

Pdukatz wrote:

It is just, that I have no tat much with prrofreading

Pdukatz
Germany
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you soooo much Joakim Nov 21, 2015

Joakim Braun wrote:

Pdukatz wrote:

It is just, that I have no tat much with prrofreading

Thanks Joakim, for your very useful and helpful input. That's just great ... thanks for taking the time.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:51
English to Hindi
+ ...
Half your per word rate Nov 23, 2015

This seems to be the de facto standard, especially with agencies, though I agree with the others that we should aim at our hourly rate.

For proofing, the de facto standard seems to be one fourth your per word rate, again, you should aim at your hourly rate.

It is always advisable to have a look at the translation as it will give you an idea of how much time and effort it will take you.

If you have a well-filled calendar, then you should avoid editing/proofing jobs and concentrate on translation, as it is not only more remunerative, but also more enjoyable.

[Edited at 2015-11-23 07:05 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I beg to differ on both counts Nov 23, 2015

Balasubramaniam L. wrote:
If you have a well-filled calendar, then you should avoid editing/proofing jobs and concentrate on translation, as it is not only more remunerative, but also more enjoyable.

If you insist on setting the fees for your labour yourself, as every self-respecting businessperson has a right to do, then proofreading is NOT going to be paid at a worse rate than translating. In fact, it can be paid better than some per-word translations if you work in areas that can be tricky to get just right, such as marketing where there may be any number of acceptable translations, but you're searching for the one with that tiny plus-value. With a per-word rate, your hourly rate diminishes with the ticking of the clock as you search for inspiration.

As for which job is more enjoyable, surely that's for each individual to assess, isn't it? Personally, I rarely take on bilingual revision as the constant refocusing between the two texts makes me feel physically sick and dizzy, but I'm more than happy to take on monolingual English revision, often of target texts - on my terms, of course.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Your input on pricing ...

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search