https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/29578-is_the_clients_approval_a_necessary_pre_condition_for_payment.html

Is the clients approval a necessary pre-condition for payment ?
Thread poster: Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Local time: 19:00
English to Assamese
+ ...
Feb 21, 2005

Recently I got an offer from an agency with a condition that the payment will be released only after approval of the translation by their client. I found this strange. Is it a common practice?

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:30
English to German
+ ...
Unmanageable risk Feb 21, 2005

Hi Syeda,
"The client hasn't paid yet" is one of the most common excuses put forward by agencies defaulting on their payment obligations.

If you accept this, you will make your remuneration depend on the satisfaction (however defined) of someone you're usually not allowed to communicate with directly. To me, that's an unmanageable risk.

Nice try, I'd say...

Best regards,
Ralf

Edwal Rospigliosi
Edwal Rospigliosi  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 15:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not at all Feb 21, 2005

Hi

Your contract is with the agency, and you are delivering a job to the agency, not to the final client. They, not the client, are the ones who must pay you, and it can't be done based upon another business deal they did.

Alicia Casal
Alicia Casal  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 10:30
English to Spanish
+ ...
comment Feb 21, 2005

no me parece una práctica demasiado ética, además de ser sospechosa....

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 09:30
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Agree with 3 above Feb 21, 2005

it is very suspicious...

Nancy

PS can you imagine the hydro company signing a contract with you, agreeing that you'll pay your power bill if and when you clients pay you? That's what I'd tell this agency, if they wonder why you struck out that particular clause in the contract. But I think they expect you to do so, because in the real world... you have to pay your bills.

N.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the clients approval a necessary pre-condition for payment ?

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »