Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
Looking for do as much as you can agencies.
Thread poster: Sam Haugh

Sam Haugh  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 20:14
Japanese to English
Dec 14, 2015

Hello,

I work full-time and managing a translation project on the side is rather difficult, especially when I cannot dictate the word count or deadline. I have stumbled upon *company (thatI cannot mention) which is a great company that allows translators to work on projects when they are available and there is no requirement as to how much needs to be done. It's all market research so you can easily hop on for an hour and hop off again. Great stuff.

I was wondering if anyone knew anymore agencies like this which would be good for someone like myself.

Also, I wanted to post this in the translation agencies forum but there was an error and this was the next best thing.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sam

[Edited at 2015-12-14 15:13 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

Richard Purdom  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:14
Dutch to English
+ ...
advertising Dec 14, 2015

That's great!

How much are you earning to promote protranslating?

And I thought this site was for professional translators?

DJHartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

A joke? Dec 14, 2015

Are you serious? The agency mentioned tried to haggle me down to $15/hr!

Maybe Sam's account has been hacked, hardly seems like this post was written by an 'expert J-E translator'.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 12:14
English to French
Quick money? Dec 14, 2015

Sam Haugh wrote:
I work full-time and managing a translation project on the side is rather difficult, especially when I cannot dictate the word count or deadline.

Yes, it certainly is difficult. I also work full-time as a translator, and I cannot dictate specifics, but I can accept or decline offers. It implies a lot of constraints, like committing to and meeting deadlines. It's a real job in itself.
I have stumbled upon protranslating which is a great company that allows translators to work on projects when they are available and there is no requirement as to how much needs to be done. It's all market research so you can easily hop on for an hour and hop off again. Great stuff.

Hop on/hop off is a good metaphore: a thing for tourists. Maybe you could look into crowdsourcing sites, if that's your thing.

Philippe

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Have you checked out their reputation? Dec 14, 2015

Sam Haugh wrote:
I have stumbled upon XXXXXXXX which is a great company that allows translators to work on projects when they are available and there is no requirement as to how much needs to be done. It's all market research so you can easily hop on for an hour and hop off again. Great stuff.

Remember that the Blue Board here, and certain others, can only be used by those who've actually worked with a company. Working with them presumably implies you've agreed to their 'offered' terms or you've managed to negotiate something similar to your own. So, if you get paid according to those terms, you'll be a happy bunny.

But look in places where people are free to say what they think about the terms and you'll find that no self-respecting professional translator would go near them. Not in a month of Sundays.

I was wondering if anyone knew anymore agencies like this which would be good for someone like myself.

I'm sure there are very many of them, but none are good for you.

Also, I wanted to post this in the translation agencies forum but there was an error and this was the next best thing.

That forum is FOR them, not ABOUT them. And it's private.

NB: You need to remove the reference to the agency name or your post will be removed by moderators.

Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Just looking for solid answers please. Dec 14, 2015

Hello again,

Sorry if my candid writing style set some alarm bells off but my account has not been hacked and I am not supporting the company that I shall not mention anymore. Also, I have looked at their reputation and it's quite good. 4.8 on the blue boards.

They pay me 20 dollars an hour for casual work which is easy and a stress-free relief from my actual job. I'm happy with that, but they don't have enough work.

All comments and unnecessary discussion aside - especially in regards to my profile which has done its job in securing me with employment, can anyone answer my simple question which I will lay out below:

Q: Could someone tell me about any crowd sourcing agencies that pay a flat rate per hour of work?

In response to the blue boards, I can't really search by crowdsourcing companies can I?

Thank you.

Sam

[Edited at 2015-12-14 15:33 GMT]

Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
No, is the short answer Dec 14, 2015

Sam Haugh wrote:
can anyone answer my simple question which I will lay out below:

Q: Could someone tell me about any crowd sourcing agencies that pay a flat rate per hour of work?

Well, maybe I and others COULD. But I'm certainly not going to. Why on earth would any professional translator advocate crowd-sourcing? It would be like a doctor encouraging a patient to see a plumber to cure their constipation!
In response to the blue boards, I can't really search by crowdsourcing companies can I?

I should certainly hope not.
They pay me 20 dollars an hour for casual work which is easy and a stress-free relief from my actual job

Really? I'd heard it was USD 0.015 per word. Perhaps you work rather fast, but then that sounds rather stressful.

Alexander Onishko  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:14
Russian to English
+ ...
:D Dec 14, 2015

Sam Haugh wrote:

Hello,

I work full-time and managing a translation project on the side is rather difficult, especially when I cannot dictate the word count or deadline. I have stumbled upon *company (thatI cannot mention) which is a great company that allows translators to work on projects when they are available and there is no requirement as to how much needs to be done. It's all market research so you can easily hop on for an hour and hop off again. Great stuff.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Sam

[Edited at 2015-12-14 15:13 GMT]

Hi, Sam! I want to work for this company too Please advise where I should send my CV.

Camille Beaupin
Peru
Member (2010)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Rates Dec 14, 2015

Sheila,
The crowdsourcing agency I know offers a rate of USD 0.05 per source word. I don't know if it is the same one Sam is working for. Sometimes, unfortunately, traditional agencies don't offer me more. The problem is that you have to translate very quickly because too many translators are working simultaneously. I think it is stressfull and so far I haven't translated anything for them. I prefer being assigned a project with a deadline even if I have to meet a deadline that is tight.

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 12:14
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Hmmm... Dec 14, 2015

Camille Beaupin wrote:

I prefer being assigned a project with a deadline even if I have to meet a deadline that is tight.

So do I. I prefer knowing my client(s), and that I am the only translator who works on the project was assigned to me. And if the deadline happens to be really tight, then I'll just put in a nightshift in order to meet it.

Jumping into the virtual ring and struggling with how ever many translators from that cloud pool over a single, underpaid project with an unrealistically short deadline is not a very good perspective. Neither is working with (or against?) unknown colleagues on a single project.

Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
There are jobs for all out there Dec 14, 2015

Camille Beaupin wrote:
Sheila,
The crowdsourcing agency I know offers a rate of USD 0.05 per source word. I don't know if it is the same one Sam is working for. Sometimes, unfortunately, traditional agencies don't offer me more. The problem is that you have to translate very quickly because too many translators are working simultaneously. I think it is stressfull and so far I haven't translated anything for them. I prefer being assigned a project with a deadline even if I have to meet a deadline that is tight.

You need to look for traditional agencies that offer twice that, Camille, or at least 1.5 times. Or, better still, work with ones that ask you how much you charge. Of course deadlines are tight - that's business - and it's in our own interests to increase our average speed of translation by staying within (or close to) our comfort zone and by using technology wisely to improve our efficiency. We need to be able to withstand some pressure, but there are limits and too much stress is not only bad for you, it's also bad for the client in the long run as the quality of your work is bound to suffer.

Each one of us has to decide where to draw our own personal line. But there must surely be a line or lines that the profession as a whole should not cross. If we condone working for a pittance we reduce our whole profession to that of piecework in a sweatshop situation. That isn't something that I personally am prepared to do.

Camille Solange
Peru
Rates Dec 14, 2015

Sheila,

Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:14
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
ProZ Dec 14, 2015

Maybe, like for KudoZ questions, we should be able to vote to change some forum posts to Non-Pro.

Camille Beaupin
Peru
Member (2010)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Not that simple... Dec 14, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

You need to look for traditional agencies that offer twice that, Camille, or at least 1.5 times. Or, better still, work with ones that ask you how much you charge. Of course deadlines are tight - that's business - and it's in our own interests to increase our average speed of translation by staying within (or close to) our comfort zone and by using technology wisely to improve our efficiency. We need to be able to withstand some pressure, but there are limits and too much stress is not only bad for you, it's also bad for the client in the long run as the quality of your work is bound to suffer.

Each one of us has to decide where to draw our own personal line. But there must surely be a line or lines that the profession as a whole should not cross. If we condone working for a pittance we reduce our whole profession to that of piecework in a sweatshop situation. That isn't something that I personally am prepared to do.

I would be happy to work for higher rates but I mainly work from Spanish to French and it seems that Spanish agencies are the ones that offer most work in this combination. And they don't pay €/USD 0.10 per word. Recently, a French agency even answered me that they couldn't accept my rates because they were the same as European translators while I don't live in Europe.... I didn't negotiate any rate with them, just explained that I wouldn't accept a lower rate since I have the same qualifications as my European colleagues and deliver the same quality. Sometimes it is not that easy, even when we want to set proper rates.
In another occasion I was contacted by a South-American agency and needed to determine a rate. I had never worked for any agency from this country and I didn't want my rate to be too cheap, so I sent a few emails to translators who had worked for this agency (in other linguistic combinations) and had posted a comment about this agency on the Blue Board, asking them whether they could tell me what rate they had negotiated. I got only one response. People often complain about low rates here but very few of them share useful information with their colleagues.
I understand that I am part of a community and have a responsibility. On the other hand, if I don't have better-paid offers and need to work, what else can I do? This applies to me, and to many others. I guess Sam doesn't have many options because he needs flexibility.

[Modifié le 2015-12-14 22:56 GMT]

Japan
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Any good agency is fine Dec 14, 2015

One thing about the company I work for is that I get paid by the hour and not per word. I could do a hundred responses or sixty and still get paid 20 dollars.

I understand the issue people have with crowdsourcing, saying its not professional translation, but who cares. Work is work and we all have different requests from our employer. And to be honest, it's better than getting less than 0.04 cents per character and having words pro rated due to how much Trados assisted in the translation. Also, most projects cannot be taken onboard in a part time way, you usually have to commit a lot of time in a short time frame to get the project done which I just cannot offer.

If anyone could introduce me to a similar per hour agency, crowdsourcing or not, or a company that pays more than 0.06 per character without pro rates and is perfect for part time work, please let me know.

Regards

Sam

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Looking for do as much as you can agencies.

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search