New computer - suggestions?
Thread poster: Anders O.

Anders O.  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 17:48
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Dec 15, 2015

I was working on a rather large proofreading project just now. The file brought my computer down to its knees. It got so bad I had almost cancelled the job. Words cannot describe how annoying it is that a TEXT FILE breaks your computer...

I do not want this to ever happen again, and I realize my computer is not a work horse anymore.

This was the last straw - I will buy a new computer over Christmas.

What computer is the best for translation/document work(preferably a powerful laptop)? What computer do you use?

I also welcome specific recommended components (RAM, processor etc.)

I placed this under "money matters" because, you guessed it, I don't want to spend a fortune but still get a capable work computer.

Thanks!

- A.

Direct link Reply with quote

Sarah Lewis-Morgan  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
The most important thing is RAM Dec 15, 2015

Having exactly the same problems, so I have ordered a new PC. And I went the whole hog and chose 32 mb of RAM, having taken advice from expert friends. I won't go into makes etc., as you want a laptop, but the more RAM you can afford the better. And since it is more difficult to upgrade a laptop, get as much as you can now to last as long as possible.

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:48
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Money Dec 15, 2015

Anders O. wrote:
I placed this under "money matters" because, you guessed it, I don't want to spend a fortune but still get a capable work computer.

May I suggest that you create a spreadsheet that adds up

Initial cost of computer
Set-up and installation costs
Additional software
New peripherals if required
Projected cost of technical support/assistance over the lifetime of the computer
Projected cost of downtime/lost work due to non-availability of the computer
Etc.

And then decide.

Myong-Sang Lim  Identity Verified
South Korea
Local time: 00:48
Member (2015)
English to Korean
Your Current PC? Dec 15, 2015

What kind of setup you're using now?
Are you going to build your own or buy a ready-made PC?
If you're still using a Hard Drive as a boot disk, migrating to a SSD would make a night and day difference.

IMO, computer CPU has not shown a great improvement in performance lately. So, you could consider using your current PC for a while with some enhancement if it's not too old.

I'm still using 4 year old Intel I5-2500 and don't have any problem handling documents over 100 MB.

Meta Arkadia
Local time: 22:48
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Split/merge Dec 15, 2015

Anders O. wrote:
Words cannot describe how annoying it is that a TEXT FILE breaks your computer...

It's annoying for sure, but strangely enough, it's not very surprising. There are file size limits for (plain) text files that have been established long ago, and a lot of wordprocessors - including Word - simply cannot handle large files. I of course suggest you buy a new Mac, but in the meantime, you could use a file splitter/merger. If your file also contains a lot of images, you can extract them and put them back later. Both approaches may work. Let me know what OS you're using if you're interested, and I'll look up the tools for you.

Cheers,

Hans

Jutta Deichselberger  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
French to German
+ ...
SSD Drive Dec 15, 2015

My computer has two drives, a normal one for the files and a fast SSD drive for the programms. It is incredibly fast and I still enjoy it although I am already working nearly 3 years with this computer.

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your replies Dec 15, 2015

DexterLim wrote:

What kind of setup you're using now?

I am using an Asus laptop with Intel i7 2.4 Ghz and 8 GB RAM. Having a portable computer is essential for me, as I move around a lot. It SHOULD do the job, but fails miserably to do large tasks. Long story short: It's getting old (2010). I think cooling should be something I must consider, as the current computer gets extremely hot sometimes. I am going to buy a custom-built laptop, so I can pick the components the right components.

It handles most tasks fine though, but I am starting to get a lot of huge files for work, and I don't want to run into more problems like this in the future. I had to cancel the job in the end (just now), because Word kept crashing.

Jutta Deischelberger wrote:
My computer has two drives, a normal one for the files and a fast SSD drive for the programms.

Yup, an SSD is where it's at. I have two HDDs in my current setup. Will definitely change.

The most important thing is RAM

I always thought 8 GB of RAM was enough to do text based work, but apparently I was wrong. So yeah, I will opt for at least 16, preferably 32 as you are going for.

Meindert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
It's the combination of hard- and software Dec 15, 2015

Use a 2 GHz or better CPU with an onboard 2 GB or better GPU
Use 4 GB of RAM for a 32 bit OS or more for a 64 bit OS
Use Win 7 or above, do not use Vista because it's crap
Use an ssd drive for the OS and an external HDD for your applications (ssd recommended but expensive)

Good luck.

BTW, @Sarah: 32 MB of RAM recommended by an expert?
In 1995 perhaps!

Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
Depends whyt you use the computer for. Dec 15, 2015

Meindert wrote:

In 1995 perhaps!

As well as everything else I have open, I use Dragon for voice recognition, and my PC grinds to a halt after a while. 16mb might do it, but I'd rather be on the safe side!

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
1995 Dec 15, 2015

Meindert wrote:

In 1995 perhaps!

Yes, finally enough RAM to play Doom! I think she meant 32 GB though ;-D

Anyways, thanks for your recommendations. Windows Vista is crap, I think we all can agree on that.

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
GIGAbyte, not MEGAbyte Dec 15, 2015

Sarah Lewis-Morgan wrote:

As well as everything else I have open, I use Dragon for voice recognition, and my PC grinds to a halt after a while. 16mb might do it, but I'd rather be on the safe side!

Sara, I think you mean GIGAbyte (GB), not MEGAbyte (MB) 32MB isn't even enough to render the cute cat I have as a desktop background.

Meindert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
German to Dutch
+ ...
Anyway Dec 15, 2015

Make sure you don't install more than 4 GB of RAM on a 32 bit OS because that's the max it can handle. Anything more is a waste of money and it will probably crash the system.

Germany
Member (2014)
German to English
+ ...
You are indeed correct Dec 15, 2015

Anders O. wrote:

Sarah Lewis-Morgan wrote:

Sara, I think you mean GIGAbyte (GB), not MEGAbyte (MB) 32MB isn't even enough to render the cute cat I have as a desktop background.

Getting my megabytes and gigabytes mixed up (and when I started using computers, 4 mb was HUGE!)

Bruno Tiussi  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 01:48
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
32 GB is wat too much Dec 15, 2015

You don't need 32 GB in a computer built for translation services.

8 GB is enough, 16 GB is OK. More than that and it is a waste of money.

As someone already told you, having a SSD will make a huge difference.

But your current computer should still be good enough. I would probably try a fresh install first, and maybe check the coolers, before buying a new computer.

[Edited at 2015-12-15 13:19 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-12-15 13:19 GMT]

Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Agree Dec 15, 2015

Bruno Tiussi wrote:

You don't need 32 GB in a computer built for translation services.

8 GB is enough, 16 GB is OK. More than that and it is a waste of money.

As someone already told you, having a SSD will make a huge difference.

But your current computer should still be good enough. I would probably trying a fresh install first, and maybe checking your coolers, before buying a new computer.

I agree with Bruno. It's likely that a fresh OS (and possibly cleaning the coolers) will solve your problems. If not, you can always think about buying new hardware after that.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New computer - suggestions?

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search