https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/295939-what_i_can_do_to_a_india_based_non_paying_company.html

What i can do to a India-based non paying company
Thread poster: Phoebe Leong
Phoebe Leong
Phoebe Leong  Identity Verified
Malaysia
Local time: 02:34
Member (2015)
English to Malay
+ ...
Dec 17, 2015

I've worked an India-based company from 2010-2012, always late payment but at least i got pay. Until the last two projects i worked for them, Invoice 0001 sent on Jun 7, 2012 and Invoice 0002 sent Mar 28, 2013

I know it's abit weird to mention about this non-payment case in 2015, but i just got a reply from their accountant after many reminders sent. They refused to pay me because they kept the records for two years only. I've sent many reminders with their promises to pay. Read the
... See more
I've worked an India-based company from 2010-2012, always late payment but at least i got pay. Until the last two projects i worked for them, Invoice 0001 sent on Jun 7, 2012 and Invoice 0002 sent Mar 28, 2013

I know it's abit weird to mention about this non-payment case in 2015, but i just got a reply from their accountant after many reminders sent. They refused to pay me because they kept the records for two years only. I've sent many reminders with their promises to pay. Read the replies from them:

FIRST REMINDER regarding invoice 0001 sent on Oct 9, 2012
SECOND REMINDER regarding invoice 0001 sent on Oct 29, 2012

"Reply from XX (Oct 29, 2012): Regarding the invoices, our accountant has resigned unreported and due to which payments are getting delayed.
Everything is messed up in accounts now. Can you please give us 15 more days to release your payment?

Another reply from XX (Nov 3, 2012): I apologise for the delay, But the funds are not coming in as expected. We are following up with our clients and trying hard to recover the dues. We will release your payments immediately then."

NO PAYMENT RECEIVED AND THIRD REMINDER regarding invoice 0001 sent on Dec 1, 2012

"Reply from XX (Dec 1, 2012): As there is a discrepancy in our records, It will be appreciated if you could kindly send details of the outstanding payments you have with XXXXXX."

My response: Details sent as requested.

FORTH REMINDER regarding invoice 0001 sent on Dec 10, 2012

FIFTH REMINDER regarding invoice 0001 sent on Dec 18, 2012

"Reply from XX (Dec 26, 2012): We are extremely sorry for the lack of communication. As you are aware of Mr. Anil and one of our accounts person has done a big fraud and we found they have done double payment to many vendors. This is the reason why we are taking time to investigate in every Invoice of all the translators. Please have trust on us as we do not intend to dupe anyone’s hard earned money and we understand and believe that translators are our USP and we respect their service catered to us.

Please bear with us for few days more as there is lot of mess in accounts records and we will streamline everything before this new year."

SIXTH REMINDER regarding invoice 0001 sent on Mar 28, 2013

Reply from XX (Mar 28, 2013): Please send me the outstanding statement of unpaid Invoices.

YOU SEE THAT! HOW MANY TIMES HAVE THEY ASKED FOR DETAILS. THEY'VE GOT EVERYTHING THEY NEED BUT STILL NO PAYMENT RELEASED.

MORE THAN 10 REMINDERS regarding invoice 0001/0002 sent in year 2014. NO REPLIES HAS BEEN GIVEN, AT ALL!!

AND TODAY, THEIR ACCOUNTANT VINAY, REPLIED MY EMAIL: TOLD ME THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE RECORDS TO CHECK MY JOBS DONE?

I'm so upset about them, I've already posted a review on their proz BB, but they just don't care about it.

[Edited at 2015-12-18 06:18 GMT]
Collapse

Dylan J Hartmann
Dylan J Hartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Sorry for your situation :( Dec 17, 2015

The only practical way to stop this happening is to refuse jobs from the country in question. Countless numbers of Prozians have had similar experiences to you, most of us never even got replies, and all we can do is band together and say "NO" to jobs from that country. I just delete immediately. Eventually enough poorly translated work will be sent from that country, for the rest of the world's 'budget conscious' clients to realise that it's NOT a good idea to send your projects for translation... See more
The only practical way to stop this happening is to refuse jobs from the country in question. Countless numbers of Prozians have had similar experiences to you, most of us never even got replies, and all we can do is band together and say "NO" to jobs from that country. I just delete immediately. Eventually enough poorly translated work will be sent from that country, for the rest of the world's 'budget conscious' clients to realise that it's NOT a good idea to send your projects for translation in the said country.Collapse

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:34
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Are they still able to post here? Dec 17, 2015

phoebeleong317 wrote:
I'm so upset about them, I've already posted a review on their proz BB, but they just don't care about it.

Does it look as though other translators are being paid? Maybe ProZ.com would intervene if you send a support ticket to staff. No guarantees that they would, but I think I'd give it a try in the circumstances.

I would also send them a very formal final demand, on paper and sent registered post, reminding them that they've been providing excuses and apologies for not paying for quite a few years now. Why would they have done that if you had no legitimate claim to payment? Send copies of the invoices that are outstanding, and any POs etc that you received from them, and make sure you restate all available payment methods etc.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:04
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Consumer Courts Dec 18, 2015

I don't know if this will help, and unfortunately I have no further details about this, but you could approach Consumer Courts in India if your documentations are all in order, and you can prove your case properly.

Consumer Courts generally take a consumer-friendly view of complaints, and many long-suffering consumers have found redressal to their issues from these forums.

The proper way would of course be to take formal legal action, but this will be worth the money an
... See more
I don't know if this will help, and unfortunately I have no further details about this, but you could approach Consumer Courts in India if your documentations are all in order, and you can prove your case properly.

Consumer Courts generally take a consumer-friendly view of complaints, and many long-suffering consumers have found redressal to their issues from these forums.

The proper way would of course be to take formal legal action, but this will be worth the money and time only if the amount involved is large.

Have you tried giving a low point on their blue board? If this is any serious agency, this will sometimes goad it to make amends.

Partly you are to be blamed for your predicament as you say this agency has been a habitual late payer, and you have had enough red signals to have stopped working for it long ago.
Collapse

SANTOSH CHOUDHARY
SANTOSH CHOUDHARY  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 00:04
English to Hindi
+ ...
Shameful for the defaulter company. Dec 18, 2015

It is not your fault. Such companies must think twice before resorting to such malpractices. Some greedy people don't even bother that they are doing a great disservice to their mother country.

I fully agree with Mr L. Balasubramanium. You must try Consumer Courts. Don't think about your money alone. Who knows how many people might have become prey of such companies. They need to be taught a lesson in the hardest possible way. Never loss courage. God is with you.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:34
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I only work exclusively for companies in my home country... Dec 18, 2015

... in order to avoid collection problems.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What i can do to a India-based non paying company

Translation news

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »