Should I charge the same rate for cross-file repetitions and repetitions?
Thread poster: Fredrik Pettersson

Fredrik Pettersson  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Member (2009)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Jan 7, 2016

Should I charge the same rate for cross-file repetitions and repetitions? Any reasons not to charge the same rate?

Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 04:18
Member (2011)
English to Russian
+ ...
It depends Jan 7, 2016

In case you don`t have clients who pay same rates for repetitions (both cross-file and 'standard' ones) and 'normal' words, you are forced to accept agencies with repetition-based rates (not an uncommon situation). But your ultimate goal is to find clients who simply don`t know what a repetition is (most obviously, these are direct clients), or who just don`t care.

But yes, when we speak about agencies, we have to admit that repetitions are an integrated part of their practices.

[Edited at 2016-01-07 14:39 GMT]

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
What's the difference? Jan 7, 2016

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
Should I charge the same rate for cross-file repetitions [as for] repetitions?

Do you even know what the difference is? I don't.

Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:18
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Difference Jan 7, 2016

Samuel Murray wrote:

Fredrik Pettersson wrote:
Should I charge the same rate for cross-file repetitions [as for] repetitions?

Do you even know what the difference is? I don't.

"If you have any questions, ask your doctor" three times in the same document vs. one time in three different documents (files)?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:18
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
In that case... Jan 7, 2016

Michele Fauble wrote:
"If you have any questions, ask your doctor" three times in the same document vs. one time in three different documents (files)...?

In that case, I'd charge more for in-file repetitions than for cross-file repetitions, because cross-file repetitions are more likely to be the same sentence used the same context. OTOH, how many other tools distinguish between these two types of repetitions?

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 02:18
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
How much time will they take to process? Jan 7, 2016

It all has to boil down to time. Even if we charge per word, wih a lower rate per repetition, we're actually charging for our time. And if time is saved by using a CAT tool that we've paid for and/or spent time training to use, we are entitled to at least a part of the saving, if not all.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:48
English to Hindi
+ ...
Don't offer discounts for repetitions Jan 8, 2016

This is why we should not offer any discounts for repetitions, as these end up as being tactics to get more work out of us for less pay.

Clearly, repetitions in different files will take more time to handle than repetitions in the same file, as even in 100% repetitions, the context will need to be checked.

Ultimately it is the time we spent in the translation that we should charge for. But once we agree to charge per word, we don't get much leeway to adjust for greater and lesser time taken by a translation.

If it is at all possible, you should move even further up and charge for a job as a whole, which will allow you to factor in all these unanticipated extra work and provide only a rough estimate of the probable cost in the beginning of the negotiation, and make it clear that the final invoice could be less or more than this figure depending on the effort involved.

Agencies with integrity and high-end clients will agree to this mode of working, but unfortunately, most won't.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I charge the same rate for cross-file repetitions and repetitions?

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search