Word-for-word Rates: SL or TL charging policy
Thread poster: FGL1

FGL1
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 8, 2016

I've been translating for over 3 years now however I am new to the professional translation service industry.

Here is my question: If I receive a translation project with 245 words and my translation ends up with 253 words, what will be my rate? Would I charge my client for 245 words or do I charge for the amount of words the translation required? In this case, 253.

Thank you all!

Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:57
German to English
write "per source word" or "per target word" Jan 8, 2016

I had always assumed that words "per source word" was the absolute norm, but there was a poll here recently and a significant amount of people seem to charge per target word. You need to specify what you mean by "word" in your offer and check the definition in the purchase order.

I charge per source word, although my fee would look lower (that is, the number would be smaller) if I were to convert it into a fee per target word. I prefer to use the source text, because it makes estimates unnecessary and prevents the unpleasant surprises they can lead to.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word-for-word Rates: SL or TL charging policy

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search