Thread poster: giovanna diomede

giovanna diomede  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 02:54
French to Italian
+ ...
Jan 25, 2016

Hi everyone,

I am about to make a quotation for a translation job composed of text and strings.
The client asked me if there is a different fee for strings.

I sometimes happen to translate strings, but mostly from agencies and they usually do not make any difference.
This one is a direct client, so I would like to be sure I give the correct answer before we agree on the assignment.

Thank you
Giovanna

Direct link Reply with quote

Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:54
Member (2014)
English to German
Strings with code? Jan 25, 2016

Do you mean strings of text with code everywhere?

Generally I don't like it because it is not easy to change the sentence structure, you can't just type away, as you have to click around the codes and why they are there and where they should be.

If this is what you are quoting for then I would check through the job thoroughly and take the extra time it takes into consideration.

Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Software strings Jan 25, 2016

Usually strings are charged more because they usually require more effort, therefore time, given the lack of context (series of sentences with no relation between each other) and words that can have various meanings, such as Forward, adverb, in Internet Explorer, and Forward, verb, in Outlook.

When I used to "localize", I charged UI (user interface) about 20% more than UA (user assistance).

Philippe

giovanna diomede  Identity Verified
Italy
French to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jan 25, 2016

I don't have many codes in my strings.
Thank you both. Your comments were helpful.

Giovanna

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I charge the same Jan 25, 2016

I generally charge the same as for normal text, just for simplicity, really. Strings do not necessarily require much more research work than normal technical texts, so I find it simpler to charge the same as for text.

I do charge more when I translate long lists of parts, which frequently require a lot of research on each item.

Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:54
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
User Interface (UI) strings Jan 25, 2016

Oftentimes User Interface (UI) strings have length limits that makes it more difficult to translate them. You have to come up with abbreviations or use unconventional wording, to fit them into the required limits. It is extra work, so I do charge more for such strings.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Fees for strings

Advanced search

WordFinder Unlimited
For clarity and excellence

WordFinder is the leading dictionary service that gives you the words you want anywhere, anytime. Access 260+ dictionaries from the world's leading dictionary publishers in virtually any device. Find the right word anywhere, anytime - online or offline.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search