Thread poster: Monika Pawlik

Monika Pawlik  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:54
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 27, 2016

Dear Proz Forum,

I am wondering if anyone could help me with giving an estimated quote for English to Polish translation of four headings, subheadings ( food menu, drinks menu, breakfast menu and kids menu). Shall I calculate the price per word?, I would be grateful if anyone could give me an idea of how to proceed with it. The document is in the Excel spreadsheet and features 5 columns for 5 different languages respectively. In my case it's Polish. Thank you for your help in advance.

Monika

[Edited at 2016-01-27 17:56 GMT]

Armorel Young  Identity Verified
German to English
Charging by the word is fine Jan 27, 2016

By all means charge by the word, but my experience of translating menus (like translating certificates) is that they take a fair bit longer than words in connected text, so your price per word needs to reflect this.

Alternatively you can just estimate how long you think the job will take you and quote a flat rate for the job based on your estimate of the time needed and your usual hourly rate (or, if you haven't got one, the amount you think it would be reasonable to be paid for an hour's work).

Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to German
Depends Jan 28, 2016

I could not give a quote until I have seen the menu because some menus are very easy to translate whereas others require research and quite a bit of creativity.

I never quite know what to charge for certificates, some see them as good little earners, but they usually come as PDF with small letters, handwriting, one or several pages ... and you never know how well that will convert, so it could turn out to be more than I bargained for?

Monika Pawlik  Identity Verified
Member (2016)
English to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
translation rate choice Jan 28, 2016

Thank you very much for both replies. I wanted to upload the menu so that you could see however I was asked to remove it. I agree the price per word or an hourly rate would be fine. Once again thank you for your help.

Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:24
English to Hindi
+ ...
Charge a minimum fee Jan 28, 2016

From what you mention, the translation of a few headings will not be more than a dozen words in all, and the total amount if charged on a per word rate would be just a few dollars, too insignificant an amount to make this job worthwhile for you, unless this is a sort of introductory assignment based on which you will be receiving more menu translations in future.

For such tiny jobs you should charge a minimum otherwise the administrative tasks of writing emails, preparing the invoice and follow up on payment will constitute the major component of the job rather than the actual translation and all of those tasks will have to be done for free. In larger projects these will get absorbed in the word rate, but not in jobs involving a few words.

Also, I would advise you to charge for menus on a per menu rate. This is because even though a menu may be just a few lines, when you sit down to translate it, you will realize that it is quite a complex task as it could contain words and terms from different languages associated with the cultures from where the menu items have been selected. Many of the menu terms won't have any equivalent terms in your target language and you will have to bring in a lot of creativity into the translation to get the translation right. You will also have to do a lot of research on the menus. All this will take up a lot of your time and you will have to factor it into what you charge.

Tina Vonhof
Canada
Local time: 21:54
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Depends on client Jan 28, 2016

If it's a regular client or a potential future client, I would not charge at all.

Preston Decker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:54
Chinese to English
Confused Jan 28, 2016

moniczek wrote:

Dear Proz Forum,

I am wondering if anyone could help me with giving an estimated quote for English to Polish translation of four headings, subheadings ( food menu, drinks menu, breakfast menu and kids menu). Shall I calculate the price per word?, I would be grateful if anyone could give me an idea of how to proceed with it. The document is in the Excel spreadsheet and features 5 columns for 5 different languages respectively. In my case it's Polish. Thank you for your help in advance.

Monika

[Edited at 2016-01-27 17:56 GMT]

Do you mean that the translation is only of the headings you wrote (i.e. eight words in total)? If so, I would not charge at all if this was a regular client. If a prospective client, I think the advantages/disadvantages of charging a minimum charge vs. doing this for free could be argued either away.

If the translation is of the whole menu, I second Gabriele: a menu translation takes longer per word than most other translations, and that is doubly true if this is an upscale restaurant.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Food menu

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2019 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2019 has evolved to bring translators a brand new experience. Designed with user experience at its core, Studio 2019 transforms how new users get up and running, helps experienced users make the most of the powerful features, ensures new

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search