Do you give out your social security number when applying to agencies?
Thread poster: LegalTransform

LegalTransform  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:45
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 1, 2016

A lot of agencies seem to have a "packet" that they want you to complete before they "can" send you jobs. This "packet" usually includes such items as a vendor information sheet, non-disclosure agreement, independent contractor statement, rule and regulations statement and tax forms (W-9). I have a problem giving out my tax identification information to everyone who asks for it and prefer to reserve that information at least until after I have completed a job for the company. Many times you provide all of this information and then you either never receive or accept a project.

I am uncomfortable doing this, but they claim that they cannot move forward until I do. If this were an isolated incident, I would say no, and move on, but a lot of companies are doing this (we used to withhold this information until after we have completed a job) or is it now required because so many people may not be qualified to work?

I don't know about other countries, but our tax identification information is also used for our banking and credit information and if it gets into the wrong hands (such as an underpaid project manager), the results could be disastrous.

Most people probably do not worry about this, but I've already had my own tax ID and personal information stolen and it is not a fun process to go through.

[Edited at 2016-02-01 21:45 GMT]

Direct link Reply with quote

JL01  Identity Verified
United States
English to French
+ ...
EIN Feb 1, 2016

This is a recurring topic. I'm pretty sure it has come up in the past 6 weeks.

The solution is simple: get yourself an EIN from the IRS. It is free.

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's a good idea Feb 2, 2016

But does that mean I would have to file two tax returns - one for my EIN number and one for my SSN number?

JL01 wrote:

Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
English to German
+ ...
Some info Feb 2, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

But does that mean I would have to file two tax returns - one for my EIN number and one for my SSN number?

JL01 wrote:

Not necessarily. Unless you file two tax returns, one for a corporation or partnership, and one for yourself, doing something else, as an employee or even self-employed individual. But if you work as an employee or even if you work as a freelancer and then also have additional income from an incorporated business with an EIN, that additional income is reported on a separate tax form (Schedule C) under the same return you do with your SSN.
Income for your translation business must be reported under your SSN if you don't have an EIN.

See also:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Employer_Identification_Number
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1635.pdf

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p334/ch01.html
Employer identification number (EIN). You must also have an EIN to use as a taxpayer identification number if you do either of the following.
Pay wages to one or more employees.

File pension or excise tax returns.

If you must have an EIN, include it along with your SSN on your Schedule C or C-EZ.

https://www.irs.gov/Help-&-Resources/Tools-&-FAQs/FAQs-for-Individuals/Frequently-Asked-Tax-Questions-&-Answers/Small-Business,-Self-Employed,-Other-Business/Form-SS-4-&-Employer-Identification-Number-(EIN)/Form-SS-4-&-Employer-Identification-Number-(EIN)-1
Question: Does a small company that operates as a sole proprietorship need a tax ID number?
Answer:
A sole proprietor without employees and who does not file any excise or pension plan tax returns does not need an employer identification number (EIN) (but can get one if they choose). In this instance, the sole proprietor uses his or her social security number as the taxpayer identification number. However, at any time the employer hires an employee or has to file an excise tax return, they will need a new, separate EIN.
If you have an existing EIN as a sole proprietor and become a sole owner of an LLC (Limited Liability Company) that has employees, you need to get a separate EIN to file employment taxes.
Additional Information:
Publication 1635 (.pdf), Employer Identification Number - Understanding Your EIN
Publication 334, Tax Guide for Small Business
Form SS-4 (.pdf), Application for Employer Identification Number

separate tax returns, special case:
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1635.pdf
Guardianship/Custodianship: A trust usually set up for a minor.
Form(s):
Form 1041 U.S. Fiduciary Return of Income, plus other returns that apply (such as
employment tax returns).
You will need a new EIN if any of the following are true:
• A trust changes to an estate
• A living (inter vivos) trust changes to a testamentary trust
• The revocable trust changes to an irrevocable trust
You will not need a new EIN if any of the following are true:
• The trustee changes
• The grantor or beneficiary changes his or her name or address.
Note: Separate EINs are needed if one person is the grantor/maker of multiple
trusts. For example, if you have a trust for each of your grandchildren, each trust
must have a separate EIN and file a separate tax return. However, a single trust
with several beneficiaries requires only one EIN.

United States
English to German
+ ...
PS W-9 Feb 2, 2016

[quote]LegalTransform wrote:

A lot of agencies seem to have a "packet" that they want you to complete before they "can" send you jobs. This "packet" usually includes such items as a vendor information sheet, non-disclosure agreement, independent contractor statement, rule and regulations statement and tax forms (W-9). I have a problem giving out my tax identification information to everyone who asks for it and prefer to reserve that information at least until after I have completed a job for the company. Many times you provide all of this information and then you either never receive or accept a project.

See:

http://www.investopedia.com/articles/personal-finance/082714/purpose-w9-form.asp

United States
English to German
+ ...
Reply? Feb 4, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

I am uncomfortable doing this, but they claim that they cannot move forward until I do. If this were an isolated incident, I would say no, and move on, but a lot of companies are doing this (we used to withhold this information until after we have completed a job) or is it now required because so many people may not be qualified to work?

I don't know about other countries, but our tax identification information is also used for our banking and credit information and if it gets into the wrong hands (such as an underpaid project manager), the results could be disastrous.

Most people probably do not worry about this, but I've already had my own tax ID and personal information stolen and it is not a fun process to go through.

[Edited at 2016-02-01 21:45 GMT]

I hoped my comments would be helpful.

United States
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Bernhard Feb 4, 2016

Yes, the information you provided was very helpful. However, I'm still trying to decide what I want to do. I told the agency no for the time being.

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

United States
English to German
+ ...
Thanks Feb 4, 2016

LegalTransform wrote:

Yes, the information you provided was very helpful. However, I'm still trying to decide what I want to do. I told the agency no for the time being.

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

Thanks J.!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you give out your social security number when applying to agencies?

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search