Manual translation & screen capture rates
Thread poster: Silvina Jover-Cirillo
Silvina Jover-Cirillo
United States
Local time: 03:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 24, 2005

My client wants me to translate a User Manual. No problem so far. But the manual has a lot of images and screen captures. When the spanish software is ready, I should do the screen capture part and insert it in the manual.
I have NO IDEA how much to charge for this kind of work. Is this under DTP rates? How much do you charge per hour?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!!!!

Direct link Reply with quote

marc debacker
Local time: 09:17
English to French
+ ...
hourly rate Feb 24, 2005

Silvina Jover wrote:

My client wants me to translate a User Manual. No problem so far. But the manual has a lot of images and screen captures. When the spanish software is ready, I should do the screen capture part and insert it in the manual.
I have NO IDEA how much to charge for this kind of work. Is this under DTP rates? How much do you charge per hour?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!!!!

how much is an hour of your life worth? do not underestimate yourself, do not price yourself out of the market either.

I have quite some experience with screen capture for manuals:
*** the capture itself takes little time once you got the knack (what file type, resolution, size --you need ot balance readability of the image content, but also the space it takes on the page, which may be restricted by the manual producer to some standard inserts, or by some general page style he has set and he may give that priority over readability of the image content
*** ...but be aware it will take some time for you to manage the growing number of files. so if you have to make a quote on work instead of an hourly charge, do take a faire margin !

success
marc
PS if you have no idea which way to capture the screens, there are plenty of software products to do so; personally been very happy using hypersnap (http://www.hyperionics.com/), which is not free, but very reasonably priced considering its features and ease of use)

Silvina Jover-Cirillo
United States
Local time: 03:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Very helpful!!!! Feb 25, 2005

WICWIC
Thanks so much for the information!!!!
I know how to capture the screen, I have a couple of softwares for that, which I found around the Internet and they seem to work pretty good for what I need.
I just was kind of lost regarding the time that was going to take me and if I should charge extra per hour for that kind of job. If there were only a couple of pics, it would have been fine with me. But, since is the translation of a software's manual, they have been very graphic and used a lot of screen capture shots.

Thanks again for your advice. I'm taking it into account!!!!

[Edited at 2005-02-25 02:38]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Manual translation & screen capture rates

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search