Thread poster: Alaa Zeineldine

Alaa Zeineldine  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 08:03
Member (2002)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Feb 26, 2005

I would like to get some feedback on the average time it takes to work on a technical glossary. I understand this varies with subject and language pair, but I would like to see if the estimates I made are way off the mark or not. I am working on a document where I made an agreement with the client to charge the glossary based on time, and the rest of the document per word, and would like to make sure that my accounting is fair and the numbers make sense.

The terms were mostly mechanical parts. But let me know of your experience as follows:

Language pair:
Subject:
Number of glossary entries:
Total time for glossary:
Average look-up time per word (mins.):

I will try to collect everything and organize it for easy access in the end.

Thank you.

[Edited at 2005-02-26 04:34]

[Edited at 2005-02-26 04:34]

Direct link Reply with quote

gad
United States
Local time: 02:03
French to English
I have questions regarding glossaries, too. Mar 2, 2005

I just did some glossaries for a client, and they’re really not that complex plus they helped me too, but on the other hand, they are part of the work I completed and I’m sure it’s understood that I will charge…I was thinking in this case, I could add it on to the related invoices and calculate it by word count.

But I’d like to know in general how other translators work regarding glossaries they prepare for clients, as usually for me it’s been the opposite, if anything (i.e., they send me the glossary to follow).

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Time per glossary word

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search