Rate for translating bibliography
Thread poster: frenchamerican
frenchamerican
French to English
Mar 13, 2016

Hello, I translate scholarly articles in my field for 11 centimes a word, which is, according to proz. com, the average rate, which is fine for me.

I work regularly for this client.
The bibliography needs a bit of adjusting, but not much.

How much would do you thing I should charge for the bibliography part.

No one is breathing down my back, but it seems unfair to charge the normal rate for the bibliography.

What art your thoughts?

Thank you,

Frenchamerican

Direct link Reply with quote

Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:54
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
hourly rate Mar 14, 2016

I would suggest to the client an hourly rate for the bibliography, pointing out that it will be cheaper than your per-word rate. It depends on how long the document is an how long the bibliography, whether this is worth fussing with.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:54
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Seconded Mar 14, 2016

An hourly rate would be fair to both parties. Unless you have/can get an idea of how long it's likely to take so you can then calculate the per-word rate.

I even think of my normal per-word rate more in terms of what I'll earn in an hour. I only quote on a word basis because the client prefers it, and I know it will average out OK for me.

frenchamerican
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
hourly rate not an option Mar 14, 2016

i can't charge hourly rate.
i have to charge per word.

James Heppe-Smith  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:54
Member (2010)
German to English

Moderator of this forum
Well... Mar 14, 2016

frenchamerican wrote:

Work out a fair charge per word for this section and charge it. You might base this on the time taken to complete "normal" translation of, say, 100 words and the time taken to complete 100 words of the bibliography. Reduce your normal rate appropriately pro rata?

Just a thought.

I would probably charge my usual rate for the whole thing, unless the bibliography was massive and it really was a cut/paste job.

You are the service provider and set your rates; it is up to your client to accept them or not. A plumber would not reduce his bill if he found a load of perfect pipes buried in your walls when he was moving a radiator for you, why should you reduce your rates if you still have to check to ensure that there is actually nothing to be translated in the bibliography and copy/paste the existing source text into the translated file?

Good luck with the task and getting the "Go" from your client.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Strange Mar 14, 2016

f enchamerican wrote:

Have to? Your client is determining how you charge them? Is so, you might as well as them how much you should charge them.

Gabriele Demuth  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
English to German
Keep it simple Mar 15, 2016

I would just give a small reduction according to the time I feel I have saved.

Otherwise the time spent calculating the word count of the bibliography and applying a different rate to that may not be worth it.

Amel Abdullah  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
The same rate Mar 15, 2016

There is nothing wrong with charging the same rate. Sometimes translation is easy, and sometimes it is difficult. A difficult word or passage can take several hours of your time. The per-word rate should reflect a balance...the overall rate that is fair for a particular job.

deryaun  Identity Verified
Turkey
Member (2016)
English to Turkish
Hourly Rate is the key Mar 16, 2016

frenchamerican wrote:

Hello, I translate scholarly articles in my field for 11 centimes a word, which is, according to proz. com, the average rate, which is fine for me.

I work regularly for this client.
The bibliography needs a bit of adjusting, but not much.

How much would do you thing I should charge for the bibliography part.

No one is breathing down my back, but it seems unfair to charge the normal rate for the bibliography.

What art your thoughts?

Thank you,

Frenchamerican

Hi,
Your hours spent (which is the priceless commodity, if a commodity at all ) still the same, whether you are struggling with bibliography or not. A regular client will respect it. if it does not work, you can and should always negotiate, if money is very important for them enough to negotiate
Good Luck
Derya

frenchamerican
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 17, 2016

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I ended up charging half rate. There is little to do, but there is a bit, and also the double checking that all is in the right form for what is pretty boring work.

I think I could have charged full rate, finally, because I'm probably going to add in the English originals/versions to the bibliography, and that adds on considerable extra time.

Sometimes there is literally nothing to do with a bibliography, and often there's just a bit to do.

I think between half and full rate is reasonable.

This is a very regular client that I'm happy to work with.

Thanks again.

[Edited at 2016-03-17 13:25 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rate for translating bibliography

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search