Should I include credits in per min rate
Thread poster: prox2me
prox2me
Canada
Mar 18, 2016

I am receiving files which include bar code and 2 minutes of black after the main show ends. When I am charging on my per minute rate, should I charge for the full runtime of the video which is at 32 minutes including bar tone, slugs, end credits and 2 minute of black after end credits.

Or should I only charge for the runtime of the actual show which I actively did subtitling for?

A lot of files will be sent over and I will need to make an excel sheet to check runtime by scrubbing through. Should I just charge by the total duration of the video file?

Direct link Reply with quote

DJHartmann  Identity Verified
Australia
Member (2014)
Thai to English
+ ...

Discuss it with client Mar 18, 2016

That's like asking if we should charge for blank spaces in a character count!

If I was in your situation, I would present my offer to the client stating clearly and confidently:

"The final charge will be based on the total runtime of each video file".

If the client is wanting to save their pennies, then they'll try to negotiate the charge based on actual video minutes minus the empty minutes. In this case, you should be open to negotiation.

Most clients prefer the straight-forward and easily verifiable way anyway.

Best of luck!

Dylan

[Edited at 2016-03-18 08:31 GMT]

prox2me
Canada
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Mar 18, 2016

DJHartmann wrote:
That's like asking if we should charge for blank spaces in a character count!
If I was in your situation, I would present my offer to the client stating clearly and confidently:
"The final charge will be based on the total runtime of each video file".
If the client is wanting to save their pennies, then they'll try to negotiate the charge based on actual video minutes minus the empty minutes. In this case, you should be open to negotiation.
Most clients prefer the straight-forward and easily verifiable way anyway.
Best of luck!
Dylan
[Edited at 2016-03-18 08:31 GMT]

thanks for your two cents. Did the same.

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:54
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I'd be asking myself a few questions Mar 18, 2016

Do you absolutely know that you can just switch off (in all senses) once you see the bar code?
You don't have to watch the end bit to make absolutely sure there isn't anything more?
Do you know for sure what the length of the actual show is or would you have to check that each time?

Remember the file length is very well documented for your client to check easily, so it makes for easy accounting. You need to be (a) charging an adequate rate for your time, and (b) giving your client confidence that they're getting what they pay for and not being charged on the basis of some variable they don't understand. "Transparency" is the current buzzword. So discuss it with the client beforehand and get their agreement in writing. Charge on the basis of file/show length, with post-show minutes to be processed/ignored. And then stick to those agreed rules.

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:54
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Why Mar 21, 2016

... did they not specify "from minute X to minute Y"? Which is usually done when not all the video is in your language.

As was pointed out, now you at least need to check.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I include credits in per min rate

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search