Thread poster: Muhammad Youssry

Muhammad Youssry
Egypt
Local time: 09:15
Arabic to English
+ ...
Mar 24, 2016

Dear mates,

I seek your wise opinions on how to deal and to get compensated for the inconvenience cause by this US located business.

3 translation projects were done as started in Feb and ended on March the 8th. I sent the first invoice in Feb and should have been paid on March the 12th but I was having a technical issue with my PayPal account that took two days o be resolved and I notified them it's been resolved. They confirmed payment has been scheduled but didn't confirm when. I communicated with the PM to help me confirm when since accounting do not make sense in their emails. She confirmed, payment is scheduled to be done the following day. I waited and nothing happened and no email sent from their side. When I tried to respectfully get an answer, they finally replied that: "Mrs. Jones (PM) does not work in Accounting, we do. Read your contract and WO, we pay at 30 days after a correct invoice is submitted to us. Again we cannot confirm any day, it can be any of the 30 days we have since you indicated you resolved the impediment we had to place any payment."

Waiting for your advice.

Direct link Reply with quote

Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:15
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
We cannot... Mar 25, 2016

Sorry to read about your problem, Muhammad.

The reply you've received is so vague, it could mean anything or nothing. I am presently experiencing a similar situation, not knowing when exactly I will get paid the amount that was due on March 22. They told me that I can expect payment "some time in early April". My email request to provide me with a binding date still remains unanswered.

I don't know if you would agree or do the same, but I've decided to wait till early April (mainly because I'm busy). If the payment doesn't arrive then, I will send another email, also to inform them of the interest I will be charging them. As soon as the payment does arrive, I will no longer have any free capacities for this (ex-)customer.

Good luck!

Thayenga

[Edited at 2016-03-25 12:20 GMT]

Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 07:15
Member (2008)
Italian to English
14 April Mar 25, 2016

Muhammad Youssry wrote:

.....should have been paid on March the 12th but I was having a technical issue with my PayPal account that took two days o be resolved and I notified them it's been resolved. ......it can be any of the 30 days we have since you indicated you resolved the impediment."

Their English is very poor but my understanding of the above is that they intend to pay you on or before 14 April (30 days from the date on which you resolved your PayPal issue). But I don't understand why they can't pay you now.

[Edited at 2016-03-25 13:24 GMT]

Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:15
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I agree with Tom, in the absence of more information Mar 25, 2016

Credit of 30 days is the most common payment period in Europe for B2B transactions, and maybe in the world. So, unless you qjuoted and got acceptance of your own, shorter period, that one is pretty much the default, and not something you can really complain about. Maybe they could pay before, as Tom suggests, but I doubt they feel there's much need to. It sounds as though the PM is just saying what you want to hear - something that seems to be happening more and more.

The question I have is: why did you expect the first payment on 12 March? Was that 30 days after the invoice date, or earlier?

Muhammad Youssry
Egypt
Local time: 09:15
Arabic to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
yes was due on March the 12th Mar 25, 2016

Thank you mates for the kind words.

My communication with the PM was clear enough as I had to CC her in all accounting emails. She (PM) was understanding and confirmed with them "payment will be the following day". But it seems that they shut her up as they rudely emailed me " as a courtesy, we replied" (they usually don't communicate with translators, I believe) and since the payment was due on March the 12th but PayPal account issue was resolved two days after, they rescheduled the payment and ironically they can't confirm when.

It was a long cooperation with this client and PMs are clear but when communicating with accounting, I feel I'm speaking to a tree, can't get a right to the point answer unless after a long thread of emails. They answered me once: "Sorry, we didn't understand your email fully" though it was crystal clear, "Can you confirm when payment will be processed?".

Frankly, I looked up how to complain US based businesses as I found BBB " better business bureau" where you can file them a complaint and even check if they are accredited or not. Not to mention, you can complain against them in one of the US state courts. I am not it is free or what!.

Hmmm.. I think I will wait till I get paid then I will do so. I believe it's an attitude that they need to be monitored in or coached upon.

Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:15
Member (2003)
Japanese to English
+ ...
"when to get paid" Mar 25, 2016

Make sure the purchase order clearly states the payment date.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"we cannot confirm when to get paid"

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search