TAXES - Self-employed paying to a foreigner
Thread poster: MarSark

MarSark
English to Spanish
Mar 2, 2005

Hola!
Firstly, congratulations for this GREAT site!! It´s very helpful.
I need advice on taxesicon_frown.gif
This is my first year in US. I am from Argentina. I made some translations last year and was sent the 1099 forms. Unfortunately, as I had no experience in taxes, I didn´t keep any track of my expenses so I won´t be able to deduct anythingicon_frown.gif BUT I do have my rental lease and as I worked at home I think I might deduct at least 10% from that. IS IT WORTH IT? My next biggest concern is this:
I paid US$1000 to a translator in Argentina to help me with some translations. Am I able to deduct that? I read some publications in the IRS and found out that I would have to withhold 30%?? For those living abroad and working for US as freelance translators. Is that correct??
Also, for taxes purposes: would it be better if I register an agency, or is it better to be self-employed?
THANKS A LOT FOR YOUR HELP... I hope I didn´t ask TOO many questions.

MAR

gad
United States
Local time: 02:19
French to English
Here's a link to the IRS website Mar 2, 2005

Hi! Welcome to ProZ.com. You can check out this IRS link for more information regarding taxes.

http://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/index.html

Publication 54 (2004), Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad

Also, I may be mistaken, but I think this type of question may have come up before. To find out, you could do a search on the forums and it'll take you right to information that may already be posted.

I hope this helps.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TAXES - Self-employed paying to a foreigner

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search