Thread poster: Patricia Cohan

Patricia Cohan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:02
Member (2003)
French to Spanish
+ ...
Mar 2, 2005

Dear all,

I would like to suggest a certain criteria for the requested tests.
We usually have at least 2 possible situations:

-an agency asks freelancers or other agencies to fill in a test for its database.
-an agency asks freelancers or agencies to fill in a test requested by its client.

Generally but not allways they ask both kind of tests to be done free.
Concerning the first case, I agree with a non-charge work because the agency becomes a real client for the translator or for the secondary agency and if the text has a reasonable number of words (up to 300)and I can receive a feed-back or a short evaluation or at least an answer to know if I do match the standards of the agency.
But in the second case, I believe the agency posting the ad or sending personal messages to providers for a specific project must assume the costs of the tests requiered by its client. In other words, it is the agency who must take that risk, not the secondary providers.
I suggest first to discuss this point with you and second to define criteria together.
I should say I follow myself this principle with other freelancers who usualy work for us.

Looking forward to reading you soon

patricia cohan
patcohan@ciudad.com.ar

Direct link Reply with quote

Kimmy
Local time: 15:02
Italian to English
+ ...
I agree... Mar 2, 2005

I fortunately have been paid for most tests.

But then I was contacted by a few agencies who already had work in the pipeline, thus if I passed the test it became part of the job I was commissioned!

How do you enforce it?
They'll always be those translator's willing to test for free continuously!

It's the same situation as the low rates! There's always someone ready to undercut you!

One can only stand their ground and hope that the agency/client is more interested in quality and professionalism more than keen puppy dog translators ready to work for peanuts!

I understand why some do but I still stand my ground!

Believe me I had one agency tell me that they had people ready to work for free just to be able to put their client's name in their resume! I asked them why they were on the phone to me then???
I still have a steady flow of work from this agency!

You do the sums!

So far so good!

Kim

Konstantin Kisin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:02
Member (2004)
Russian to English
+ ...
imho Mar 3, 2005

Strangely, I am the other way around.

I refuse to do general unpaid translation tests for agencies. If they wish to check my work they can ask for references, a sample of previous work or they can pay me to do their test.

However, for project-specific tests, provided I am positive it isn't a scam to get a free translation, I am normally quite happy to do them. If you get the job, you are then paid for the test

I'm not sure if I have an officially formulated philosophy on this matter - just how I've always done it.

Patricia Cohan  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:02
Member (2003)
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thinking over Mar 4, 2005

Thank you,Kostia,

It is really usefull to listen to the rest of the community. Your words made me reconsider the matter.

Konstantin Kisin wrote:

Strangely, I am the other way around.

I refuse to do general unpaid translation tests for agencies. If they wish to check my work they can ask for references, a sample of previous work or they can pay me to do their test.

However, for project-specific tests, provided I am positive it isn't a scam to get a free translation, I am normally quite happy to do them. If you get the job, you are then paid for the test

I'm not sure if I have an officially formulated philosophy on this matter - just how I've always done it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tests for the agencies

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search