Sandrine Pantel  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 20:21
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Apr 14, 2016

Thanks a lot for your answers and feedback, I will follow the advice I find relevant, particularly about the way I "sell" myself.

Thanks

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
base rate or average rate including discounts Apr 14, 2016

Are you talking about your base rate or average rate including CAT discounts?

Sandrine Pantel
France
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
base rate Apr 14, 2016

I am talking of my base rate

Romina Navarro
Romina Navarro
Spain
English to Spanish
Do not accept low rates Apr 14, 2016

I agree with The Misha.
I'm in the same position and trying to learn from sharing experiences with fellow professionals.
You have to prove what you can do, show that you're worth the price, and look, look, and look again until you find good agencies or end clientes.
Nobody said freelancing would be easy. Be patient, work on improving your skills and your marketing, and if you persevere you will make it.
Keep going!...
See more
I agree with The Misha.
I'm in the same position and trying to learn from sharing experiences with fellow professionals.
You have to prove what you can do, show that you're worth the price, and look, look, and look again until you find good agencies or end clientes.
Nobody said freelancing would be easy. Be patient, work on improving your skills and your marketing, and if you persevere you will make it.
Keep going!

[Edited at 2016-04-14 16:45 GMT]
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 02:21
Chinese to English
+ ...
English Apr 14, 2016

Whether you translate into English or not, it won't do to make so many glaring errors.

Sandrine Pantel
France
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
? Apr 14, 2016

so many glaring errors?!

Ok, many negative, demeaning and contemptuous comments here, just because I asked for some help and tips.
One would expect professional translators to have some tactfulness...

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:21
German to English
+ ...
whose prices (title) Apr 14, 2016

This is also a mindset which might help you. The only person who has to consider an agency's price is the customer - the end client of the agency. The agency has to consider YOUR prices, because the agency is your customer.

The agencies I work for function as follows:
- They ask what my fee and turnaround time is. Then they set their fee for their end client according to my fee, and quote the client.

The agencies who have a mistaken idea work this way:
-
... See more
This is also a mindset which might help you. The only person who has to consider an agency's price is the customer - the end client of the agency. The agency has to consider YOUR prices, because the agency is your customer.

- They ask what my fee and turnaround time is. Then they set their fee for their end client according to my fee, and quote the client.

- They set a fee for their end client, winning the translation away from other agencies. Then they want me to work for a fee determined by them which will still give them a profit.

When you accept the 2nd premise, then you are also helping those agencies drive your good customers out of business.
Collapse

Romina Navarro
Romina Navarro
Spain
English to Spanish
Rude comments Apr 14, 2016

Yes, Sandrine.
Some comments are actually rude and arrogant here.
Unfortunately I got used to read them, which does not mean I like them at all. Just ignore them!

Each one of us has been a newbie one day and made mistakes, made silly questions, etc.
Even though this rudeness is disgusting, try to read between the lines and filter the useful information.
Not every colleague here is like that. Some are just tired to answer the same questions all the time, whic
... See more
Yes, Sandrine.
Some comments are actually rude and arrogant here.
Unfortunately I got used to read them, which does not mean I like them at all. Just ignore them!

Each one of us has been a newbie one day and made mistakes, made silly questions, etc.
Even though this rudeness is disgusting, try to read between the lines and filter the useful information.
Not every colleague here is like that. Some are just tired to answer the same questions all the time, which of course does not justify their rudeness.
Check other threads about the same topic "getting started/ getting established"; you will find many good, well intended advice

[Edited at 2016-04-14 17:45 GMT]
Collapse

Sandrine Pantel
France
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
encouragements Apr 14, 2016

Thanks a lot for your help and encouragements, Romix and Maxi Schwarz!

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

- They set a fee for their end client, winning the translation away from other agencies. Then they want me to work for a fee determined by them which will still give them a profit.

When you accept the 2nd premise, then you are also helping those agencies drive your good customers out of business.

Sensible and logical way to see it I shall work more often for agencies which function that way.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
That's strange... Apr 14, 2016

jackiekiefer wrote:

Unless you earn at least €0,10 a word there's no point even working as a freelance translator - at least in Europe. You're better off doing something else.

I know quite a few translators here in Spain and elsewhere in Europe who charge rates far lower than that and yet manage to provide themselves and even their families with a decent standard of living, myself included.

Living costs vary so much across the EU that I find generalizations about income and living standards to be highly inaccurate, to say the least.

Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales
Elizabeth Joy Pitt de Morales  Identity Verified
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No desire to be negative or demeaning Apr 14, 2016

Sandrine Pantel wrote:

so many glaring errors?!

Ok, many negative, demeaning and contemptuous comments here, just because I asked for some help and tips.
One would expect professional translators to have some tactfulness...

But I do think that Lincoln is correct. There are many spelling and grammar errors in your profile. Although you don't translate into English, your profile is your calling card and your first impression. It should be flawless.

And, to tell the truth, I don't find the comments to be demeaning, contemptuous or negative with the intention to hurt. It seems to me that people are trying to offer constructive criticism, not tear down your efforts.

I think you've received excellent advice from some highly regarded colleagues. I'd take it under advisement.

Romina Navarro
Romina Navarro
Spain
English to Spanish
The problem is the manners Apr 14, 2016

Elizabeth,
I think Sandrine did not mean the advice was ill intended at all.

For instance, I agree with the advice (¿?) given by Lincoln and his pointing out the grammar errors in a profile or post. Of course it is necessary and it helps a lot!
I do not agree with the manners. If you are going to criticize a fellow professional about any mistake he/she has made, you should also add your piece of advice to help them improve. Otherwise it is not constructive at all.
... See more
Elizabeth,
I think Sandrine did not mean the advice was ill intended at all.

For instance, I agree with the advice (¿?) given by Lincoln and his pointing out the grammar errors in a profile or post. Of course it is necessary and it helps a lot!
I do not agree with the manners. If you are going to criticize a fellow professional about any mistake he/she has made, you should also add your piece of advice to help them improve. Otherwise it is not constructive at all.

"My first suggestion is that you revise the spelling and grammar mistakes in your profile because it is the first impression a potential client gets about you" sounds much better than just "it won't do to make so many glaring errors".
At least this is how I see it.

[Edited at 2016-04-14 18:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-14 18:40 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-04-14 18:43 GMT]
Collapse

Arianne Farah
Arianne Farah  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:21
Member (2008)
English to French
It's a numbers game... Apr 14, 2016

I charge good rates and my months are booked (and often overbooked) - I still check in to Proz twice a week or so and fire off CV in response to jobs in my field. I expect a success rate of around 1 in 300.

Agencies will pay what you charge if they want 'YOU' - if they want 'a translator' then you might have trouble with rates. If they want 'a competent translator' you may have a little more luck. If they want a 'specialized competent translator', now we're talking.

If
... See more
I charge good rates and my months are booked (and often overbooked) - I still check in to Proz twice a week or so and fire off CV in response to jobs in my field. I expect a success rate of around 1 in 300.

Agencies will pay what you charge if they want 'YOU' - if they want 'a translator' then you might have trouble with rates. If they want 'a competent translator' you may have a little more luck. If they want a 'specialized competent translator', now we're talking.

If you approach an agency as, say 0,10EUR and they tell you 'oooh, we're sorry but the MOST we pay is 0,08EUR', then you have a choice to make. You can answer that you're sorry to hear that and to please feel free to keep your information on hand should they need any help and have the necessary budget. You can accept the proposed 0.08EUR rate. You can offer an intermediate rate, say 0.09EUR. You can accept the rate but negociate the payment terms - say 0.08EUR @ 15 NET - though this makes little sense now, in a context of high inflation or interest rates, it can make a difference. Or lastly, you can shoot yourself in the foot and offer less for more volume (bad bad bad bad idea).

Personally, since I expect a success rate of 1/300, my rates are firm & non negotiable because 299 times out of 300 it's simply a waste of time - I don't NEED another client, thought I do WANT a new better client if I can find one. At the beginning sometimes it was a case of shoot high and see where the arrow lands - I'd quote a high rate and then negotiate it down a bit, but back then I had more time, less work.

Practice, practice, practice negotiating. After a while you get a feel for it - where you can push back - where you've hit the line in the sand. Being a good translator is great; convincing others you're a great translator is wonderful. And translations are like wine - most people can tell when it's bad - you can just tell, but whether it's good, great or out of this world is entirely a matter or personal taste, even among experts.

There is no magic list of agencies that pay more than others, the magic is in YOU finding the right fit and offering a service that commands the rate you want. The same agency will pay different translators in the same language pair different rates, sometimes the difference will be 2- or 3-fold.

Also, don't be afraid to raise your rate with existing agencies - I've done it successfully a few times and fallen off the books of other agencies a few times. So don't just drop your lowest paying clients, see if you can bring them back into the fold.
Collapse

Sandrine Pantel
France
Member (2015)
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
different rates Apr 14, 2016

Arianne Farah wrote:
The same agency will pay different translators in the same language pair different rates, sometimes the difference will be 2- or 3-fold.

I had no idea of this, thank you for enlightening me on this point, and on many others

wronak
wronak
Poland
Italian to Polish
+ ...
Do it Apr 14, 2016

Brava

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Agencies with reasonables prices

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »